Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poplar... should prove interesting

Blog Entries

Poplar... should prove interesting

A neighbor lost several Poplars in their backyard during last month's major storm system. Insurance finally coughed up some dough, so I came home yesterday to several trees lying on the ground. I took several 12-14" sections for playing, but one piece I was really interested in was about 20' up the trunk. In a 4'-long section there were about 8 or so crotches, with the branches ranging in size from 6" to 10". This section was maybe 2.5' in diameter, and the interface between the sapwood and heartwood (about 2" in from the bark) had an amazing blood red color to it... I don't know what caused the color, or if it's even permanent, but it varied in thickness from 1/2" to several inches.

I mentioned to the trimmers I wanted the crotch pieces, so they were kind enough to trim that one section from the trunk (yesterday was felling, today is wood removal). With a LOT of sweat and grunting, I rolled that section out a bit and started cutting it in half with my lowly 20" Husky. I cut the first half straight through the pith, and even then it was entirely too heavy for me to move... I ended up moving that quarter piece end-over-end for 20 minutes to get it into my yard. I left the other 75% there with a note (and $20) asking if they would mind dropping it into my yard with their moving equipment (I'm hoping it will be there when I get home today).

So, side story aside, what would you do with such a large piece of Poplar (I'll try to include a pic or two later this evening, assuming they've moved it over)? I've read a number of comments that it's a very plain wood, so many people use it for practice, but this chunk appears to have a lot of figure (all of the crotches coming together in one spot) and color. I hear Poplar takes dyes well, so maybe the smaller pieces would be ideal for practicing some HFs with dye? Thoughts?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You may have something there. I cut a poplar tree in my yard last year and it had red streaks in it. I had never seen that in poplar before. I turned a few bowls with it and the red is still there to day, so I am guessing that it will last.

I had a piece of Poplar that was a skid on a pallet and when I turned it there were 'flames' in it. They were not red but various shades of brown. Never-the-less I have seen some very nice pieces of poplar and it sound like you just got some. Also, time to drop $40 at the box store for a dolly. I just got a bunck of Sweetgum and if I didnt have a dolly it would be in my driveway still.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Plain poplar is like alot of plain woods...but I've had some poplar that was rainbow colored or the typical stuff with the green in it. Yea, it's easier to turn than alot of woods, and less dense, but I like it. If you have some with crotch figure and some unique color...you've got a winner. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    If you have some with crotch figure and some unique color...you've got a winner.
    For the smaller stuff (12" give or take), I grabbed a couple of straight pieces and several crotches (I think two single- and one double-crotch)... a bit of red color in a couple of those, but nothing like I saw in the large chunk.

I think that type pf poplar is called tulip poplar, I have turned a couple bowls out pf it and they still have nice colors.

I had some poplar like that a couple of years ago. The vase I made still has the red in it. Should be some good turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Man, now you guys are making me wish I had taken a few more of the pieces with red in it. Not all of the tree had it, I'd say maybe 5' of the smaller stuff, possibly 10' of the thicker stuff. Should have grabbed one of the smaller pieces that my chainsaw would have taken care of quickly (and I could have hauled off with the wheelbarrow rather than a forklift!).

Russell, thanks for that... I'll do a little more research into that specific variety and see if that's what I have.

Dan,

With Poplar, as with most any type of wood, you never really know untill you really get inside of it. With the red streaks, you may be able to position them to create an interesting element of the turning. It may be time again for the Four Muskateer's to get together again and hash this out.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I would screw an 8" face plate to it and mount it in my lathe and start turning.
    Good Luck,
    Dave

Dan, went to a demo that Peter Bloch (I think thats his name) put on where he turned lamp shades out of poplar. He leaves them in log lengths to spalt for a season then turns them very very thin.. The poplar is very translucent and is the best wood hes found to allow the light to shin through. With the spalting this is some pretty wood!!!! He does have a web site if your interested.

Blog Entries
    Bill, Interested... please send it along.

Tony, I think I have plenty of it to go around...

Where are the pics???????????

Dan, you can find Peter's web site @ www.woodshades.com If you think they look good on his site you should see them up close!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Realized I had a mover's dolly with pneumatic tires a little while ago, so I just got back from claiming the other 75% (with a large helping hand from two neighbors... again). Now that I know the red will likely hang around, I'd love to grab more of the trunk (which seems to contain it in spades as far down as I can tell), but I would have to stay home from work to get it while they cut... not gonna happen.

I looked up Tulipwood Poplar and the bark is not the same... this bark is smooth, like Aspen Poplar. I'll try and grab a leaf out of their yard tomorrow while out taking pics.