Thread: An Introduction

An Introduction

Hi all
    I have been participating for a couple of weeks now, so I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. Though new to the creek, I am not new to online discussion. I used to only participate on the usenet rec.ww, and I see some familiar monikers here, but for some reason, new ISP, new computer, whatever, my posts weren't showing up. So when it came time to sell a few things (for upgrades ), I went in search of the pond but found the creek.
    Actually I have been away from WW for awhile, about 3.5 years at this stage. To make a long story short, my wife and I were in the process of building a new home. Our old house sold in 3 days, and everything went in to storage. Well, there were complications (to say the least), so it took us 2.5 years to finally get in to the new house. After a settling-in period of about a year, I was finally ready to build the shop.
    The new shop is in the basement, and though I have been using it for other projects in the interim, I just couldn't take anymore of the three (dim) 100 watt light bulbs and the disorganization (stuff still in boxes) anymore. So I spent the holiday's framing the walls, wiring outlets, hanging and finishing drywall, installing cabinetry and sink, suspended ceiling and lights, etc... Recently I have been installing the dust collection system. Some of you may have seen a few of my posts in response to other discussions. This brings me to another point. In the process of performing this installation I think I've gathered some valuable tips for installing a metal duct (snaplock pipe) system. If there is enough interest, I can create a new thread on the subject. Also if there is interest, I can post pictures of my shop and DC system.
    Anyway, I like the creek, lots of great activity here. Thanks for listening.

Welcome Bill!

Yeah post those pics....sounds great ! Glad to have you and beware of the handtool junkies
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Bill ......Welcome to the 'Creek. Please post a thread and pictures of you DC system. I'm interested as it will be one of the things I want to add to the new shop I'm in the process of finishing. Again....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome Bill. Its great to get back to woodworking after being away for a while, isn't it. I know because the have been several periods in my life where I have had to (mostly) drop woodworking for a year or two.

I would certainly be interested in your shop and in your dust control system.

Ok thanks all, I'm off to take some new pictures. I checked, and the ones I have are already too out of date. BTW, is there a file size limit for pictures/attachments? A quick look to the FAQ didn't indicate one. Still I don't want to kill the BW with Big pics.

Welcome, Bill. Great place to hang out!

Yes, there are limits on pictures. 100kb or less and I recommend you don't exceed 600 pixels wide. I typically post mine at 600 pixels wide and that gets them to between 30 and 80 kb in size, depending on the color saturation and compression factor used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Hi Biil,

Great to have another person working on a shop remodel. I need to post some pictures too. I can not get yours to display.

Bill, you need to use the "Manage Attachments" button to upload your photos. Do NOT use the preview, however...it bungles up the works. Be sure to wait for the system to competely upload each file before you browse for the next one, too...
    --

Yep, I read about that bug after I posted.
    Let's try this again
    Attached Images Attached Images

VERY nice space, Bill!! The ceiling height is wonderful, too.
    --

Yippee, it worked!

Ok, now for some quick descriptions and random thoughts...

The shop is about 32.5' by 16.5'. The ceiling is 108" to the joists, but I was able to keep it to 104" to the suspended ceiling.

The walk-out doors open to 6', We have another set of walkout doors in the basement so people don't have to go through the shop.

The Window ledge makes a great refrigerator in the winter.

Notice the built-in air lines. I was able to stash a 25' retractable hose reel in the ceiling. There are two outer outlets, one on each side of the shop. I piped it all in 3/4" copper. both my shop and garage are fed from the same compressor located in the utility room. see photo.

The contractors saw has been sold, soon to be replaced/delivered with the unisaw I bought at the last show. (gloat?)

The two utility closets hide alot of stuff. The one in the center of the room has drain piping and cleanouts, the generator subpanel, and some DC ductwork, including the pipe that runs under the floor to the table saw. The other utility closet in the corner hides 2 200 amp main panels and the water line to the house.

To minimize losing any headroom, as much of the DC ductwork is placed up above the suspended ceiling. This was in part by design, and in part due to the layout of the framing. I did have the framing designed so there would be no beams or posts. The DC install isn't quite finished, I am adding another branch over top the other cabinets to the corner, just for future use. I'm just waiting on material to be delivered to finish it all. I'll start a new thread on that later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill.....you appear to have a nicely organized and neat shop....but the unisaw announcement is a pre-gloat and isn't official until photos of it are posted
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Can I post a picture of the receipt to get credit for the gloat?

Now I gotta wait for the snow to melt, and the ground to dry up a bit before delivery

I actually did a little straighting up to take the pictures. Being organized sure makes that task a good bit easier.