So after a hard days work, I came home and started cutting up some logs to go out in tomorrow's mail, put some finish coats on a few pieces, then decided to turn a small dish from one of the logs I cut up.
I'm standing at the lathe, turning the inside of the dish when I see movement from the corner of my eye. I turn to look, and walking up the aisle as bold as you please is a big, hairy tarantula ! The lathe is running, lights are all on, and the trailer is vibrating lightly, and still this thing walked right up the ramp and into the shop (trailer), it was moving at a pretty good clip and coming right for me!
I used my Thompson gouge to flip it outside (bet Doug never thought it would be used for creepy, crawly control!), and now it's mad! It righted itself, turned to face me and tried to stare me down. Well, I wasn't having any of that! Flipped it off the ramp, grabbed a small log, and said adios!
I know, I know...no pics, it didn't happen, but didn't think anyone really wanted to see pics of the "remains" ewwwwww.
Lived here almost 50 years, and I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd tarantula I've seen, and hopefully the last.
If I hadn't seen it in time and it had crawled on my foot (wearing sandals), I'm sure I would have jumped high enough to hit the ceiling. Needless to say, I found myself checking the aisle every few minutes until I was done!