Thread: 25 deg Dovetail Router Bit

25 deg Dovetail Router Bit

I'm trying to repair the leaf mechanism of a table and need to make a sliding dovetail piece. Does anyone know where I can find a 25 degree dovetail bit?
    Thanks.

Jay, try www.greatwesternsaw.com. Small item. Seems hard to find.Greg

It sounds like it may have to be done by hand. I assume you are making a male portion to fit into a female slot in the table. That seems really steep. Perhaps a table saw to angle the blade to cut each side.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I don't know the price, but custom router bits are made by many of the same large tooling suppliers where we send our carbide saws and planer knives to be sharpened. This place is in my area, but odds are good you are near a similar business in your own area:
    http://www.integritysaw.com/inner.im...ting-tools.mdl

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    It sounds like it may have to be done by hand. I assume you are making a male portion to fit into a female slot in the table. That seems really steep. Perhaps a table saw to angle the blade to cut each side.

Doc
    The table is a friends who want to keep the piece in her family. Her kids apparently climbed on the mechanism without the leaf int he table and 2 of the pieces split. It's actually the female long sides that split. One side's broken piece is glueable, but the other's is missing a big chunk. I tried trimming it, but ended up cutting away the dovetail portion. It is much too long to make with chisels or any other hand tools I have access to/skills to work.

I have a 20 deg dovetail bit so I could rebuild all the components of the whole mechanism.

I don't think I've ever seen a dovetail bit over 14 degrees. Where did you get you 20 degree bit?

Thanks for the info.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a dovetail bit over 14 degrees. Where did you get you 20 degree bit?

Thanks for the info.

Ron
    Woodcraft.com was clearing them out a few years ago for $1 each. They were Akeda brand, intended for use in the Akeda dovetail jig. It's pretty short, no doubt for thin boxes.

What about using the 20 degree bit and angling the piece or the router the other 5 degrees?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    What about using the 20 degree bit and angling the piece or the router the other 5 degrees?
    That might work. I'll try shimming with some masking tape or something.