Thread: finish inside of breadbox

finish inside of breadbox

I am making my second breadbox. The first I finished inside and out with polyurethane and my daughter-in-law who recieved it says that after a few days the bread tastes like the polyurethane. Any suggestions as to what I should use on the inside? Thanks Barry

Shellac. No smell or taste and will block any smells coming from the wood. Or, you could use nothing at all. You could also put shellac over the poly in the built unit to block the poly smell.
    Last edited by Conrad Fiore; 10-20-2011 at 3:27 PM. Reason: Added info

Food Safe Oil.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

+1 on shellac. Any kind of varnish will continue to outgas solvents for a long time in a closed space - sometimes even years. The alcohol from shellac is gone in an hour or so.

A water-borne finish will also work well. I'd probably use shellac; because I always have plenty available.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    A water-borne finish will also work well. I'd probably use shellac; because I always have plenty available.
    True, but we have to be more careful about this now since there is a growing list of water borne finishes which are providing emulsified oil finishes in a water carrier. These do off-gas in the same way as a "native" oil-based finish will. (This was exactly the case with the water borne floor finish I recently used...on a floor, of course. ) 100% acrylic water borne finishes are indeed a usable choice for this bread-box application. However...I personally wouldn't put any finish on the inside of a bread box.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point Jim.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.