Thread: Home Made Mobile Base Idea (input/comments?)

Home Made Mobile Base Idea (input/comments?)

I am wanting to make a mobile base for a shop cabinet for a lathe and came up with this solution. I want the cabinet to sit on its own base when not in 'mobile' mode for stability purposes.

The idea here is to use levelers with a hex head screwdriver to raise/lower them and engage the casters. Then when the casters are retracted the cabinet sits on its own base.

What i don't show in the drawing are two bolts in each of the slots that prevent the caster unit from 'racking/rocking' when the cabinet is in 'mobile' mode. These two bolts would be tightened to a point where they maybe have 1/16" clearance between the head/washer and the unit, and this would keep the unit flush and prevent the unit from racking.

Thoughts/suggestions? I figure cost for this would be about $50. I love the HTC bases, but the cabinet is 60" long, and none of their standard bases go to that size, and most of them rest on the casters that lock down, not the method I prefer.

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I think this wood work
    www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383
    Carpe Lignum

I looked at that, but was leary as I had the 3 wheel setup of the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer, and while it moved the unit around smoothly, maneuvering was difficult, especially when you wanted to stow the equipment and put it flush against the wall.

I am still debating though. No need to make more work for myself in fabricating something if i don't need to.

What are you making it out of? Wood or metal

Could you put your brackets and slotted bolt holes out on the ends, and then just use one leveler to lift?
    It might not work if this fabrication is wood, or your cabinet is beastly heavy.

I see twisting all those levelers becoming a pain, 1 per side for a total of 2 would be much less of a hassle.

All in all, I like the idea and it looks like it would work as is.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I started off with concepts like yours but ended up with what's shown in the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBnjoOvQ_X0

Cheap, stable, maneuverable, no moving parts, instant mode change- what more do you want?

- Beachside Hank

yeah, i like the idea of the foot pedal on one side and the levelers on the other.

Aaron, I have the same levelers on my bench. I don't find them that much of a headache, and i have a 5mm hex head on my cordless screwdriver which moves them quickly and easily.

Here's what I came up with and it works well. I just happen to have two trailer jacks and made these.
    Not sure if you have access to a welder but this may give you some ideas anyway.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?122848-Lathe-on-casters&p=1241647&highlight=#post1241647

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148867-Mobile-Base-for-PM3520&p=1521888&highlight=#post1521888

Mike