Thread: Beware the ****

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beware the ****

Hello All:
    Several months ago I installed a B0RK riving knife. While I had a few issues with installation I eventually got those worked out and the B0RK seemed like a nice addition to my Unisaw. I should also mention that Bob was helpful with questions I had along the way.
    Then yesterday morning before work I was making a few cuts. On one cut, just as I switched on the saw I got hit hard by the Bolt on riving knife. Lucky for me it hit me right on the collarbone and I was wearing a thick jacket. The impact resulted in a serious contusion and I may have a knot on the bone but it could have been SO much worse. As in I could easily have one eye right now. So, those of you who are so interested in tablesaw safety that you have bought or are considering buying the bolt on riving knife, beware. Its not for no reason he has you sign a waiver before purchasing. I contacted him and his response included "I've used my B0RK for 3+ years and have shipped over 200 of them. I've been made aware of 3 splitter/saw blade collisions prior to yours and all were attributed to user error." While I suppose its possible that I made a user error I am very careful when it comes to tablesaw safety and am relatively handy with mechanical devices. At any rate, his numbers indicate that 4 (including me) out of 200 ****s he has sold have eventually give the user an issue of some kind. You can make your own decision on buying one or continuing to use the one you have. Let me emphasize that I do not have an axe to grind with Bob, but I feel morally obligated to share my experience. Below you will see pics of the riving knife after it was ejected and of my collarbone. Oh the irony of being injured by a safety device.
    Good luck,
    Jim
    IMG_1384.jpgIMG_1383.jpg
    Last edited by Jim C Martin; 11-18-2011 at 10:30 PM.