Thread: 12 x 6 maple kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Again, other threads do a better job detailing the inside turning function of my drum lathe.

Here, I'm starting the first pass.

inside_turn_1.jpg

Working the inside face.

inside_turn_2.jpg

Making the final pass. Finished wall thickness is about 3/8".

inside_turn_3.jpg

Magically, I've executed the process of hand-sanding the inside, up to 150. Oiled up the inside with 2 coats of Waterlox, just to get the job done. The inside of a drum is very rarely seen, so the finish can be utilitarian, and not furniture-quality.

oil_inside_2.jpg
    Play drums!

Paint, Creekers, paint! Yes, you can paint wood, and not sully it. Technically, automotive kandy (spelling is intentional) which is transparent, so you can still see the grain, even in the dark areas. The maple hoop is basically natural, the bottom hoop is kandied. House of Kolor brand automotive polyurethane top coat, several layers of that. Practically bullet proof.

Of course, this is maple. Paint would look quite gross on figured walnut.

painted_1.jpg

This is spendy stuff, the 3M brand 260L Stik-It abrasive disks. Figure $1.25 per. The cork pad is a shop-made affair, where I glued a used hook 'n loop (abrasive side down) to a square of 1/16" thick cork. The 3M Stik-It disk is PSA, so it sticks to the cork, then the loop side of the cork pad sticks to the hook pad on the RO.

sanded_0.jpg

Even at such a fine grit, the abrasive cuts like crazy. This section was enough to kill the disk, where all the abrasive was cleaned completely off the plastic backing. Took me 30 seconds or less to complete this section. I needed 6-7 disks at 1000 grit, and 4 at 1200 grit, to sand the whole shell.

Wear a very good respirator, the dust is quite nasty.

sanded_2.jpg

Sanding is completed.

sanded_1.jpg

Buffing. Harbor Freight buffing machine, 3M rubbing compound, and foam pad from Finish Masters.

buffing_1.jpg
    Play drums!

Here is the completed kick drum, with all the chrome lugs and legs attached.

What does it sound like? Like this. http://youtu.be/CBDIFBSX0mY

kick_solo.jpg

Purple madness! The kick drum, with a 13 x 7 snare drum (on the tall stand) and the 12 x 6 snare drum on the short stand.

kick_n_snares.jpg
    Play drums!