Thread: Last turning for a few days

Last turning for a few days

With family coming in over the holidays I probably won't be getting much time in front of the lathe. Congratulations a break from my spam of little cherry turnings.

Over all I like this little shroom. I left some tear out, sanding marks on the base and a ring at the top from jam chucking (I think that is the term) that I didn't notice until the flash from my camera showed it up. I apparently need better lighting in the shop now. This vortex really is gonna be expensive . The top is a bit pointier than I might have made it but there was some neat grain showing through as it is now. I picked the grain pattern over the curvature obviously. A mushroom like this done with multiple centers might be on my to-do list. The irregularity in would introduce might fit what a real mushroom looks like.

This oval/egg shape grain line is the one I didn't want to erase if I flattened the top out any more.

Boo for tear out and sanding marks.

Sunken in base for stability
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Looks good, and such things are good skill builders cuts as well - undercutting the top can be quite exciting at times! Dont worry about the "imperfections", ever seen a real 'shroom? Mushrooms make good stocking stuffers for the holidays, and don't forget spinning tops for the little ones in your life.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Looks good. Kind of reminds me of a knob/pull too. If you want some more practice, try making another one just like it! That can really put your skills to the test!

Derek, the tool skills will come, but I promise you - you have the talent for curves. I am betting we see some excellent work coming from your lathe in the near future.

Looking good! I turned a mushroom last week out of maple limb I cut...and I can see why so many people have collections of the things. They're fun and addicting to turn...just something silly to hone skill and creativity with.