Thread: Shed to house a generator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Joe,

No, we have no Natural Gas here. Maybe the terrain is too hilly, or too remote. But if we did have NatGas, probably would have bought the standby.
    I have a neighbor with a 20Kw generac standby with Propane. It is nice, and very quiet.
    Probably would have cost $12K with everything the Fire Marshall wanted. My neighbor says it costs about $100/day to run. Not cheap.
    And then there is the not so small problem of what if I can't get a propane delivery during a power outage.
    We are only a few miles from Interstate 80, so I figure that I should be able to buy 15 gallons of gasoline, no matter what happens.
    So I went with the gasoline fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    <snip>
    And then there is the not so small problem of what if I can't get a propane delivery during a power outage.
    We are only a few miles from Interstate 80, so I figure that I should be able to buy 15 gallons of gasoline, no matter what happens.
    So I went with the gasoline fired.
    Been several threads over on the tractor forum about different generators etc. Several posters posted that during the recent East coast outages they had great trouble getting gas. Some stations were shut down, others had lines an hour long. You probably should buy 20 gallons of (preferably) non-ethanol gas, treat it with Stabil, and "cycle" it, pouring it into a gas burner every 6 months.

I've only got a 7KW generator with an 8 gallon tank at my house in Virginia. I use the tank as a "storage tank", draining fuel for my lawnmower, then refilling it and treating the refill with Stabil.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves