Thread: Major shop redo

Major shop redo

I posted a question here last week about what to put on the walls of my 22'x22', stud walls only, detached workshop which is too cold in winter and especially to hot in summer. I got a lot of good suggestions on the project which clarified my thinking on how to proceed. Part of the problem is that my shop has evolved over the last 10 years in its present form so that I have a lot of tools, benches, pegboards & other stuff attached to the studs so it will be a major undertaking to remove everything to insulate and install walls. I plan to proceed in the following steps over the next 8 months. First, to free up space, I am going to build an 8'X22" addition on the back of the shop and move wood storage out there. I will pour the slab fairly soon and build the walls and roof as time, money and building materials (in this high-demand, hurricane ravaged area) become available. I should have the addition completed by late summer or early fall. Second, sheet rock and insulate the ceiling. Third, remove the tools, furniture and other stuff from one wall at a time to wire for more electrical outlets, insulate and apply walls. I am sticking to my original plan of using tongue & groove plywood, painted white, for the walls. Last, install a vent fan in the attic space, and some type of heating unit and airconditioning. LOML has nixed the hot tub/sauna. This should keep me occupied for the next few months. As soon as my daughter shows me how to post pictures here I will send before, during and after reports. Thanks for all the advice to date. You will be hearing from me again. Rob

Rob,

That sounds like a great plan! Best of all you get 176 more square feet out of it! Good luck on your project!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"