Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sissoo and Walnut HF

Scott that is a beautiful piece. The only thing I can see and it is just me is I think the finial is a little tall.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now that is just plain beautiful! The color and grain in that piece is just Wow! and I think the walnut finial works great with it and complements the wood without drawing attention away from it.
    I have the stump section of that tree and it looks to have the same grain/color pattern but on a bigger scale. I've been trying to think what I'm going to turn from it, and now I think part of it might end up as a large hollow form! I'll have to take a pic of the end of the log this weekend.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Scott,

I really like the form and the finial is also nice. I would have probably liked it better in Blackwood but that is just me.

Alan

The wood is spectacular, I agree with the "Jupiter" comparison. I can't claim to know enough about the finial height relationship to give a meaningful comment on that, but the form is very nice.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks for the additional comments and critiques. Mental notes taken!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That's beautiful. Nothing more to add, but am a fan.

Okay, I'm going to have to sneak up to Kathy's place and steal some of that gorgeous wood.

As others have said, your finial style is becoming your signature on these pieces. Too tall? Because it's so thin and graceful, I don't think so. I'll make a small critique. I'd like to see how a reverse curve on the lid would look. Sort of an ogee effect. Along with that you'd need to have it a bit thinner at the edges. As David D said, the small things can make a good piece into a great piece.

That wood looks like liquid chocolate which I will be happy to take a bite from! I'd go along with the "finial; to tall" crowd, but because it's so thin, it really doesn't look out of place at all! I agree with Alan that one in black could be fun to see.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I usually don't chime in after so many others but this piece looks so good that I could not resist posting something. Excellent work, the finial is not too tall in my opinion and the wood is great.

Thanks for the additional words and critiques. Points well taken thanks!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

i love the hollow form and that wood is seriously gorgeous ........... i also like your finial but put them together and my eye gets pulled up from the form and it seems that the focal point is the bulb of the finial
    not sure if shortening the finial would sufficiently lower the focal point or not would probably have to see it to tell

at any rate its pretty much nitpicking

only my opinion for what its worth

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Okay, I'm going to have to sneak up to Kathy's place and steal some of that gorgeous wood.
    Wally, if you're ever up in Phoenix and you feel like a drive out to the boonies, I'll load you up!

I'm planning on attending the AAW symposium in San Jose next year, and I'll be driving, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few more loads of Sissoo before then. I plan on loading up the truck with wood (mesquite, acacia, sissoo and whatever else I can accumulate), so save some room in your suitcases!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Ok Scott I am on my way to Az and will be retuning through ElDorado Lake. Where in AZ to I find this sisso wood. I am headed to Tucson for a month and will check the sawmill in Tucomcorri south of Tucson. If I am coming your way I have room to bring wood with me. Let me know.
    Ron

Scott, beautiful work on a spectacular piece of wood. Really love your signature finial, too.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

very nice job Scott glad to see that your hand is healed enough to get back to turning