Thread: What does this stamping indicate on my Stanley-Bailey #5?

What does this stamping indicate on my Stanley-Bailey #5?

Hello all. This is my first post, although I've been reading some of the posts here over the last year as I begin to get my act in order to start my boatbuilding and wooden surfboard building projects.

Anyway, I just found an old plane at my in-laws house as we were cleaning it out for the new owners, and it is a Stanley-Bailey #5. I've searched all over the web, including the Patrick's Blood & Gore, Supertool, and HyperKitty, and have not been able to find a key to the markings.

The plane is stamped with Bailey along the toe, has a raised bead for the front handle, and "Made in USA" in front of the rib that sits in front of the foot. That's all well and good, but there are two stampings that I can't find a reference for.

The first is on the bottom of the frog, on the left side if looking at it from underneath. There is a stamping of what looks like either 0466 or C466.

The second stamping is on the plane body under the tote (the tote is aluminum, which I believe was produced in the early '30s for high schools), and if looking at the plane body from the back, there is a "T", then what looks like "459" and then under that a "V", and finally a "5". I cannot find a reference key for this marking.

It looks like this if you were to view from the heel side:

T
    V

The only other identifying marks (or lack thereof) include "STANLEY" on the lateral adjustment lever, and lack of any patent stamping behind the brass knurled adjustment nut.

The plane looks to be in decent shape, with most of the Japanning still in place, but also with some rust and a lot of dirt/dust to remove, but I will be tuning it up over the holidays. It was a nice surprise tucked away in an attic, and whether it's worth $10 or $1,000, I'll be using it. I'm interested in using, and not collecting.

Thanks everyone, and Happy Holidays.

Joe

Can't help with the plane id, but welcome to a great place!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Archie,
    near NOLA

BTW, my first thought for the C466 is a late 50s or 60s made in Canada plane. Are there y-ribs behind the frog to the end of the plane? The Alum. handle is a worthy gloat; however, the #5 is quite common, and the Canadian made post WW2 ones are not typically as good as the pre-War planes. However, each plane deserves individual assessment. Either way, congrats on a vintage plane that will hopefully get tuned up and put back to work!

Sounds like a late model # 5. Its not canadian if it says made in usa.

Those other markings are anybodys guess and changed a lot. Foundries, patternmakers, clients, whoever wanted to, could tuck a letter in here or a number there. Theyre widely considered insignificant and do not affect the value of a plane, maybe by a few dollars in rare cases. I do like to inspect them whentaking things apart and wonder about them myself.

Mold identification

I believe that Stanley, Irwin and others used these markings to keep track of molds that had to work together and quality control issues. Like James said, the numbers are not important. My best suggestion is to read the faqs at the top of the forum and learn what fettling is and determine if your plane could benefit. Most need a little work.

My next suggestion is to get the book "Anarchists Tool Chest" by Chris Schwarz. My reason is simple.
    Using this plane will get you started down the slippery slope. The book gives you good guidance on what you need.

Learn to sharpen and enjoy.

Merry Christmas.

Eric

Guys,

Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate your feedback.

To answer a question that was asked, the casting under the frog does not have the wishbone configuration that I see on the Blood & Gore page. It has the center rib witht the two large screw bosses that flank that center rib. It looks like this means that it is a pre-WWII plane as best I can tell. However, Patrick's page states that there should be a patent date stamped directly below the the brass adjustment ring, but there is no stamping. I do however have the frog adjustment screw.

No matter, I am going to start working on this plane right after the holidays. I've already called a local glass shop, and will be picking up a piece of 3/8" float glass on Tuesday to use the sandpaper on glass sharpening method that I saw Deneb Puchalski demonstrate in a video.

As for books, I have the "Anarchist's Tool Chest" on my list to buy after I finish reading Jim Tolpin's "The New Traditional Woodworker" and John Brooks's "How to Build Glued-Lapstrake Wooden Boats".

Cheers to all of you, and enjoy the holidays.

Thanks.
    Joe

Patent dates stopped appearing in the castings of bailey planes in the early 30's, almost the same time that made in usa appeared. There was a 2 year window that they were on the plane together. Post a photo and we can date the plane for you.

Please before you start lapping the plane on sandpaper or anything sharpen it and use it for a few days so you have a baseline to compare your efforts to.

Here are (hopefully) some pictures of my plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Type 14 or 15 with a cutter from about 30 years later... That other jplane next to it looks like a vaughn bushnell, is it?

James, thank you for the update.

As for the other plane, I do not know what make it is. It does not have any markings. It does have a corrugated sole though. I will take some pictures tomorrow to post.