Thread: Hand plane or electric hand planer as a first plane?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would opt for an LN 102 low angle block plane and the LV bevel up jack plane. The LN will be used for all sort of tweaking jobs you'll have and the LV is a very handy plane that can do jack duties, some smoothing and shooting.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I gave away my electric plane. A nice block plane is always handy in a woodworking shop but, if all you want to do is un-stick a couple doors, some 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat block of wood will do ya.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't dismiss the power plane as a rudimentary construction tool. Nakashima was known to use them to flatten slabs that were to large to do any other way. That being said a hand plane will probably serve us average guys a lot more than a power plane. My bag has a Stanley Low angle block and a LN #4. They cover most every Planable problem I've com across.

One thing to remember is that hand planes will require two skill sets. Obviously, one must learn to set up and use the plane. But, one must also learn to sharpen and hone an iron. IMO the latter is much more difficult and for me has been much more expensive.

I have an electric plane and a Remimgton 870 pump shotgun.
    The plane can do more damage in less time than the shotgun.

I'd give mine away except for the fact that I don't dislike anyone bad enough to give it to them.

Anyhow - for doors. Dremel makes a plane attachement for a rotary Dremel tool.
    It's the slickect thing I've ever seen for doing doors.