Thread: Online vendors of 2729 PVC fittings?

Online vendors of 2729 PVC fittings?

I've found the 6" pipe at a local plumbing supply house, but nobody has any fittings to match in this neck 'o the world. I might be able to get some of what I need at Lowes, but their prices on this stuff redefines the term "overpriced."

I'm familiar with US Plastics (not cheap, particularly on shipping) and McMaster-Carr (boy, I wish they had an online shipping calculator). Any other online sources for these fittings with good pricing and reasonable shipping?

Thanks!

D.

Though it may be lame to answer my own question (I'd delete it if I could figure out how), after comparing every available option, I concluded that McMaster-Carr offered the best overall deal for my situation and placed the order. My local supplier could have had the fittings sent in from his warehouse at reasonable prices, but McMaster-Carr came in $10-15 cheaper overall and the estimate they gave me for shipping is about what I'd have to pay for sales tax if buying locally.

BTW, US Plastic was almost $100 higher than McMaster on this order, and their shipping estimate was $92 vs. McMaster's estimate of $25. The only thing going for US plastic is that they''ve got 22 1/2 els.

D.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    ACE is the place ... they don't usually stock many of each type, but they will order them in for you if you just ask real nice.

My local Lowe's carry's some 6" fittings, have you checked there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deckelman View Post
    My local Lowe's carry's some 6" fittings, have you checked there?
    WAY overpriced. Example: 6" Wye at Lowes is $26.24; 6" Wye at McMaster-Carr is $15.40.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    WAY overpriced. Example: 6" Wye at Lowes is $26.24; 6" Wye at McMaster-Carr is $15.40.

D.
    Make sure you know what type of PVC pipe you are looking at. Unless things have changed in the past year or so, that Lowes price sounds like it is for a Sched 40 not an ASTM 2729 S&D 6x6x6 wye which is usually under $20. When you go to Lowes you must go to the irrigation section to find S&D fittings, not the plumbing section.

Go to this old SMC thread for a good survey of ASTM 2729 S&D PVC pipe and fitting prices and sources.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 12-29-2011 at 10:26 PM.

My local Menards had the best prices on ASTM2729 pipe and fittings. 10' of 6" pipe was around $14 and wyes were $12. This was about 8 years ago so I'm sure they have gone up. They didn't have any of the large radius elbows but I used the 2 45° method and that works quite well. I don't know if Menards is that far south yet so good luck.

Dan
    You might try HD Supply Waterworks, in Little Rock, AR. In my end of the country they have all I need in 6" fittings. Tom

I visited a different Lowes store today in search of a decent price on 6" S&D couplings for the blast gates I'm making. This store had S&D fittings made by NDS that were out of stock at the other store and are generally lower priced than the Charlotte Pipe fittings also available at both stores.

In fairness to Lowes, I found some (Butby no means all) of the NDS dfittings were quite competitively priced. 6" couplings were $5.22 (I bought six). 45 degree els were $7.90. Both of these were the best price I've seen yet. The biggest surprise of the afternoon was 22 1/2 degree els for $12.51--comparable to the price from my plumbing supply house that would have had to order them in, cheaper than US Plastic or my plumbing supply house, and not available from McMaster-Carr). I bought four.

However, not all components were so well-priced. The most glaring overage was 6" wyes at over $25, compared to $19 from my supply house and $15.40 from McMaster-Carr--and no, the one at Lowes wasn't Sch 40, it was S&D. If I only needed one, I'd pay ten bucks to get it locally. When needing 8 or 10, it's a whole different story.

Perhaps the strangest--to the point of humorous--thing is that Lowes carries 6" fittings from two manufacturers but has not a single stick of 6" S&D pipe in the house. Not even an empty rack for it. Go figure.

Another factor in price comparison is the 30-mile round trip from my house to ANY Lowes store. My 2005 Sierra's gasoline habit plus the higher sales tax rate cranks up those low-end prices in a hurry.

D.

Dan, Lowes doesn't carry the 2729, but the ones here that have the fittings carry the green 3034 pipe, and they use the same fittings. In fact, look at one of your fittings...there is a round button on one end that says 2729 and 3034 on it. 3034 is slightly larger thickness pipe, so the 2729 is the best pipe to use. I got my pipe from a local yard, they too say they don't have the fittings, but then I had to go show them the pipe out in their yard . I got what I could from McMaster/Carr like you did, and got the few 6-6-4 wyes and 22.5 els from Lowes. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-30-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Dan, Lowes doesn't carry the 2729, but the ones here that have the fittings carry the green 3034 pipe, and they use the same fittings. In fact, look at one of your fittings...there is a round button on one end that says 2729 and 3034 on it. 3034 is slightly larger thickness pipe, so the 2729 is the best pipe to use. I got my pipe from a local yard, they too say they don't have the fittings, but then I had to go show them the pipe out in their yard . I got what I could from McMaster/Carr like you did, and got the few 6-6-4 wyes and 22.5 els from Lowes. Jim.
    Generally, I like McMaster-Carr, but I've got a bone to pick with them on this one. I emailed a list of what I wanted to order and asked for a shipping quote. They responded quickly with an estimate if $25.00. Actual shipping on the order was $61.00.

I understand that they charge actual shipping cost, and I can appreciate that they can't give an exact number... but 244% of their estimate is a bit much. Their cost-benefit on this deal has eroded significantly.

After thinking on it a little, my guess is that the person who did the shipping estimate based it on actual weight without taking into consideration the physical volume of the pieces. I suspect that there was a substantial "dimensional weight" charge. I just ran some numbers and concluded that I could have bought the fittings from Lowes (even their grossly overpriced Wyes) and ended up saving about $15. Grrr.

D.
    Last edited by Dan Case LR; 12-31-2011 at 1:14 PM.

Over the long weekend I sent McMaster-Carr an email about the large gap between their estimated shipping and the actual cost. First thing this morning, I received an email reply with an apology AND telling me they would credit the difference between the estimated and actual shipping.

I've often said the difference between winners and losers is how they clean up their messes. McMaster-Carr has done an impressive job cleaning up this one. I'm very favorably impressed.

D.

I think most contractors/laborers (car repair, etc.) are limited to 10% over the estimate without approval. I would think McMaster-Carr, who ships items and orders hundreds of times per day, could estimate the shipping to within 10-25% of the actual. I agree a 244% miss is a bit much.

I've used acehardwareoutlet.com a couple times now for fittings. Good prices and good stock.

I'd check out HarringtonPlastics for PVC. At least for my company (in the pipeline business), it is the cheapest supplier I have for PVC. As for shipping, it could be pricey unless you can arrange for a will call at a nearby warehouse or distributor.

Harrington is one of those companies where if you need something that doesn't even exist like 12" diameter 90 psi ABS in 19' lengths, then they will find the manufacturer to make it for you.

I work a block away from Mcmastercarr and go there a few times a month. It uterly amazes me that I can order a handfull of misc nuts and bolts from them, and then drive down there 30 minutes later and they will have the order ready. I would describe the facility as a loud logistics facility with their own box making machine and network of conveyor belts. Over the "will call" area is one of those "big ass fans" that is about 20 feet in diameter. There's always a line of contractors waiting on small orders. There is also something a bit low tech and that if you walk in, you have to go through their phone book sized catalog and order your parts through a touch tone phone there on the desk. No computers.

Although I find Mcmaster carr is a bit on the expensive side for their items. The convenience and ease of ordering makes it a fundamental part of a lot of businesses.