Thread: Bench Top drill press

Question Bench Top drill press

Well I used the hf 25% off coupon at HD on Sunday and bought a Ryobi Dp102l drill press and put it together yesterday and started drilling hole in some wood and the motor burned out and it stopped. That's what I get for trying to save money by buying cheap Chinese junk. I bought a bench top because I have a small shop and don't have room for a stand up drill press. What I need from any creekers out there is recommendations for a good reliable bench top drill press.

Around here there are regularly older bench top DPs on Craigslist. Sometimes the prices are ridiculously high, other times very low, not necessarily corresponding to condition, but here, I bet you could find a nice one at a fair price within a few weeks. An old Delta or Craftsman would be much better made than anything new.

Is it possible that you simply got a bad motor? It can happen with other brands also. Did it seem to be made well enough to suit your needs at the price you were willing to spend?

I've had a Delta bench top for quite a few years. It's an unheated, non climate controlled, shop and it works just fine. It does not however have a slow enough setting for larger Forstner bits for wood and larger metal bits. That's a different issue though. In retrospect a bench top milling machine would have been a much better investment for me.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-04-2012 at 9:14 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have the Jet benchtop DP 12" and it handles most of my needs. It's only 1/3 HP motor though so I have to exercise some caution trying to push a forstner bit through something like 8/4 ash... And it will only get down to about 550 rpm. There are times when I would like a slower speed, but not often. It's a little pricier than other comparable models. Although you can order it from Amazon or other tool sites, I tend to want to pick my machines up from a dealer, like Woodcraft, to help minimize the hassle from shipping damage, and DOA.

For about $70, or so, Harbor Freight has a bench top one. I've used mine for a couple of years now, even used forstner bits in it. It just has five speeds, nothing fancy.

Just wondering. How does a bench top drill press on a bench take up less floor space than a floor model with a cabinet built to fit over the foot of the drill press?

Seriously, if you can afford it, and get creative enough to fit it in, a floor model drill press will typically have much better quill travel, speed selections, and motor power compared to the bench top models. You just need to get creative with a base cabinet, but lots of folks do... I have been lazy with the build, but have been working on designing a base cabinet for mine. That is typically where you would store your bit sets, forstner bits, hand held drill etc...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I was going through this same issue...I'm currently planning on the Porter Cable floor model from Lowes. For the price, I have not seen anything
    near as nice in that price range. The next step up would cost me a couple hundred bucks more.

For me the issue was quill travel and minimum speed. Addressing either issue after the fact was going to be messy, so I held out until I found a model with 6" of travel and 200 or so minimum RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    For about $70, or so, Harbor Freight has a bench top one. I've used mine for a couple of years now, even used forstner bits in it. It just has five speeds, nothing fancy.
    Now that would be poetic. Replacing a Ryobi discounted with a HF coupon with a "genuine HF" model. I can't believe I just said genuine HF!

Get a Delta and quit worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Labacz View Post
    What I need from any creekers out there is recommendations for a good reliable bench top drill press.
    Get a good one like this.
    12932-A.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Actually, the HF was an "up-grade", from the old Monkey wards POWRKRAFT benchtop I used to have. Couldn't keep a motor on the MW, at least it would work for a day. Also five speeds. Same chuck size, no less. HF had more quill travel, though...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Just wondering. How does a bench top drill press on a bench take up less floor space than a floor model with a cabinet built to fit over the foot of the drill press?
    The difference is minor enough so as not to count. The problem folks run into, I believe, is that they don't have the floor footprint to stand it in but, they do have some bench to give up. I would cut the bench down to make room and move on ;-) I have a floor standing cousin of the one Myk shows. They can often be found for $100 to $140. <=== this link will probably go bad soon. As seen in the ad people selling them often don't know what they have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also have a Delta Bench top model, but it is the 10" Shopmaster. Has five speeds, lowest is 620, and a 3.2 amp motor. Was about $100 at the time, I think from CostCo. So far, it has worked well for several years.

Jim