Thread: Sparkling inlays in floors

Sparkling inlays in floors

Greetings,

Anybody got an idea of something I could inlay into a floor to catch the light and give the impression of twinkling stars?

Thanks

Tom

Blog Entries
    First thing that comes to mind is a small glass piece backed by one of those silver holographic-style wrapping paper or kid's notebook paper cover.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

How 'bout actual twinkling lights? You've got 3/4" of thickness. LEDs nowadays are bright, thin, and extremely long-lived.

One of the granites or quartz products?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The twinkling effect can be electro-mechanical as with LED lights, or passive as with some kind of reflective material. The glint of iron pyrite (fools gold) is due to small randomly oriented flakes of mica. Some granites have similar internal reflective properties, as Van suggests. Metal flake automotive paint has very tiny particles of aluminum that do the same thing. Regardless, the effect is best when the particles are oriented in a random manner, so that as the observer moves by, there are constantly changing reflections. The suggestion Don makes isn't bad, especially when you think of an inlaid floor. You might try a piece of glass over bits of crinkled up aluminized Mylar, such as is used in party balloons. Or, even more simply, try bits of mirror. Depending on where the observer is, small pieces of mirror will reflect room lights randomly.

Whatever you come up with, I'd like to see the end result. Good luck!

Wiring an LED into your floor seems... short lived, even if battery life is long. I might experiment with something acrylic or dichoic with real light "piped in" via fiber optic cables. The cables could be laid flat under the floor and routed to a central point and illuminated.

Do you have access under the floor? If so, you could just do the reverse of this: http://www.mavromatic.com/2006/06/di...-star-ceiling/

I have access under the floor now, by removing the subfloor, but once I get the finish floor down, I won't. I'm leary of introducing something that will need maintenance.

I'm especially intrigued by the crinkled up aluminized mylar idea. I suppose you would seal that in under a clear epoxy. I wonder if that would tend to get scratched up and you would lose some of the luster.

Thanks much for your replies.

The least permanent is pieces of reflective or prismatic material added to the floor finish- the entire area or taped patterns. Go over the entire floor with a couple of additional coats of clear to hide any unevenness from the tape lines.

Go to you local automotive paint store (custom paint shop) and see what they have. I've seen plenty of cars with glitter in the clear coat. You could do the same with your floor. Later, if you no longer like it, sand it off and refinish.

Possibly synthetic industrial diamonds? They come in various sizes (sand like). You would need to imbed them in a resin of some type. They will twinkle.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, I always thought industrial diamonds were pretty dirty, not like the twinkly stuff shown on fingers.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I like the notion of automotive paint additives. Not only could you get a metal flake, but pearl and other effects could also be added to a clear coat. With creative masking, it could be fun.

What is this project exactly? I'm seing the entry way of a restaurant or space museum.

Ryan

It is a stair landing. The stair turns 90 degrees at the landing. I plan on laying down an Oak perimeter, then a mahogany "sun" in the corner, with maple rays, bordered with a thin black banding, that sweep around the corner. In the maple rays, I was planning on inlaying some dark green stone chip inlace lines that terminate away from the "sun" in some sort of reflective diamond that would catch the light as you move around the corner.

I recalled seeing a reference to an inlay material in a recent post, a google search lead to this. I have never used any of this type of material, but it may be what you are looking for.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...Materials?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...swarovski?Args=

Mother of pearl dots might work for you, available in various sizes from Rescue Pearl and Stewart McDonald among others. Thin strips are also available if you want to add some rays. Typically .050" or .060" thickness, so won't take heavy sanding.