Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burn Barrel Resurection #5

I don't see it as a "save" but a great creative mind taking advantage of a creative opportunity. Through a systematic process of development there appears a beautiful creation. Great job visualizing and designing the finished piece.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Awesome piece and beautiful save Dick.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a great save Dick! Looks to me like you're full of it, creatively speaking , to see this form inside of a cracked bowl.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

wow dick, great save! you are certainly becoming a sculpting genius! :-) Very cool piece!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    I think this piece is very "sculptural" and think what it would be like to view live where it could be viewed from all angles. Not sure if I would have the patience for cutting, carving, and pyro, but I'm sure I could handle the cracking part.

Nice save, it came out well. Did you get a graduated blue background as well? It seems like you were working with a grey one in another photo.
    Hayes, that is the white to grey background. I am hoping that Jamie or someone will have an idea of what happened. I took the picture and the background was blue in the camera.
    I turn, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    This is a sculpture that does have birth on the lathe, and anything's fair game after it comes off! I agree with Scott that the base is too busy and detracts from the main object, the sculpture concept. Although you captured the image with flash, it appears there were other light sources in the area, and that is the probable source of the blue in the background.
    Hi Jamie, No flash used and 2 daylight lights used ???????????????????????
    I turn, therefore I am

Dick, I don't usually chime in on the art and form comments, even though I'm impressed by a lot of what I see on this forum. This is stunning. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

GREAT PHOTO IMPROVEMENT Dick!!!!!! Turning off the flash also eliminated most of the glare, and doesn't draw attention to the base, now more subdued in the shadows. GOOD JOB!!!!