Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a unique Gallery Operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Alan, I can see from the work that you post here why yours is some of the more expensive items for sale. I guess it is the career field that I retired from (law enforcement), but I look at it like there are 30-60 different people working the store each month, numerous booths or tables scattered throughout the floor, and I have 10 x $500 items for sale in my area just sitting on a table or shelf. I would be so afraid of something getting stolen or broken, that I do not think that I could leave my items there. Who is responsible for your things the other 29 or so days that you are NOT there. Have you had any problems such as those or am I not seeing the whole picture? I am asking, because they have something similar where I am, but I have never really considered it because of the reasons I mentioned.
    Robert,

Having, worked. For myself since I was 19 I am probably willing to take more risk than some. Our little co-op is the oldest in Texas, it has been going since 1947. It is in a prime location. You must jury in , so the overall quality is pretty good, and for the most part the members want the same thing that we all want, which is to sell our stuff.In the last 10 years only one item has been stolen so I feel fairly secure with having a few pieces there. Like I said before I like working my days. People come in all the time and tell me they have bought art there for many years and come back to look for more.

Its not for everyone but it is usually a good way to start selling stuff with reasonable fees.

Alan

Co-op gallery started started here some years ago. They are in a better site now. The town is very small, but we get visitors from the west side of the state were there is more money to be made and spent. Just local artists trying to develop a market for their work.
    C&C WELCOME

Tony, my wife is a member of a co-op gallery that works pretty much like you've described. It has been a good deal for her over the 5 or 6 years she's participated. They have artists come and go so they have openings occasionally but there is usually a waiting list for new artists. They're located on the street where they have the local artists and farmers market during the summer and they do very well during those months. If you can get a foot in the door, you should take advantage of it. My wife likes the time she spends working there because she can listen to the customers comments and get a feel for what they like. They also have an artist or two actually painting in there occasionally and that seems to draw folks in.

Hey, if it's BYOB... I'll work your hours selling your stuff..

If it is OPEN BAR, I'll work his hous for him!
    I drink, therefore I am.