Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New shop

I like the way you used a single garage door, rather than a double, giving you more wall room. Looks like it is gonna be great.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    T....hey sit on concrete blocks set at the base of the hole (48" deep) and are then surrounded by concrete poured into the holes. ....
    so the 4x4s are in direct contact with the concrete that makes up the 48" deep piers?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    so the 4x4s are in direct contact with the concrete that makes up the 48" deep piers?

Yes, they sit on a block shaped like a truncated pyramid made for that purpose. And then are secured by concrete poured in.

i'm always surprised by how building codes differ around the country. in our municipality, code always separates wood from concrete. decks that sit on piers (like your floor structure being attached to the mutitude of posts (48?) that are set in concrete) have their posts secured to the pier with fasteners like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...0335850594866#

they're pretty particular about wanting to maintain the posts, being of the opinion that direct contact with concrete will eventually lead to post deterioration, even where the posts are pressure treated. that apparently is not the case in your jurisdiction.

A lot of the variance in building codes particularly with regard to foundations is due to the wide variation in weather in the 50 states. What works for a Yupper in Michingan my not work or be overkill for someone in Tucson.

The drywall vs wood/woodproduct as interior sheathing is mainly a product of living area, if the building is seperated from the home the requirements are often different. If you poll people here you will find the majority have some sort of wood on the interior walls of their shop, though I prefer tapped and mudded drywall with a french cleat system the local code where both of my homes are located have no issues if it is a detached building.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.