Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many year do you have left?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many year do you have left?

I'm not sure if this Thread is appropriate, and if not, I trust a moderator will remove it before it get out of hand.

As a senior, I am thankful for every day I have, and especially for those I get to spend at my Lathe.

With that in mind I have included a link to a web page that changed my life. Every Saturday I take a marble out of "My Jar" and put it in my pocket and each time I reach into my pocket during the weekend, it helps remind me that my time on this plant is limited. I realize that when you are in your 20s or 30s it doesn't seem that important but should you be lucky enough, like me, to make it past 65 every day should be treated as a treasure.

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/mana...000marbles.htm

So I am wondering what the average age is of the Creekers who turn?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I just rolled over 69 on the oldometer. My father passed away at the young age of 57, so I feel blessed to have made it this far and be in good health. I've dabbled in woodwork on and off for over 30 years, but did not get involved in turning until after I retired. I feel once you reach the "golden years" and retire, you need to find something to keep yourself mentally and physically active, or you'll waste away in front of the TV set and never really enjoy what you've worked all your life for.
    Last edited by Ron Radliff; 02-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Ask Wally, because he's been turning the clock backwards for many years now!

My father died of a heart attack at age 46. I have counted my blessings daily for the additional 16 years I have managed to live beyond that. My Dad left 3 kids still in high school and my Mom, bless her, had to and did raise my youngest 3 siblings by herself. Every time I hold one of my grandkids or my great-grandkids, I am thankful for the experience.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great article. I'm at the big 5-6 level. Taking advantage of those discounts now and again that I see others get. Just wish they offered that same senior discount on tools!

Peter I turn the leaf to 65 next month. I treasure everyday i am at the lathe or sitting at my clock bench. I also treasure everyday I get to spend with my grandkids. As we just buried my wife's brother at 57 and 16 months ago her sister at 58 it really opens your eyes and really changes your perspective on life.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

As one of the younger guys who posts here, I will always say how lucky I am to have found turning at a young age and know a large portion of my life will be the better for it. Turning is one of the few things that grounds me in life, and when I'm doing my best to really find my place in it, its amazing how calm a chunk of wood spinning at 2000 RPM can be compared to everything else.

I'll be 25 in a few days.

That's a great story! At 39, I hope I've still got about half a jar of marbles, but you just never know...

Could I use M&M's? At least I could eat them instead of just chucking a marble...

Turned 63 last November, 10 days after surviving a heart attack. Having always been reasonably careful on my diet, and exercising regularly, I feel great and have no aches/pains. Been woodworking for about 50 years in one form or another, with furniture consuming the 20 years prior to taking up turning a little over 2 years ago.

I still feel like I am 30, but the good Lord has reminded me of how fleeting life can be. My advise is to throw away the marbles, avoid too many M&Ms, and simply live today for all its worth - it really is the only day you have and you aren't even assured of finishing it out! I have quit thinking about how many I have left, and have vowed to live in the moment - amazing how much more rich life can be!

Ken, my Dad died at age 61. I now have outlived him by 8 years, through no credit to myself. I thank the good Lord daily for giving another day to turn or do whatever I want.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

51, and my body is starting to tell me so. I need to find a face shield with bifocals. Sometimes I feel like Magoo while working on my projects.

I started woodworking at 12 and had a waisted youth doing flatwork and vow to spend my remaining years doing everything spinny.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

The big 61 tomorrow! Still going fairly strong - but do notice that the 'outside' doesn't seem to be as good as the 'inside' thinks it should.

I give thanks for everyday - I have been blessed - and know that I am much more fortunate than some people of this earth.

Every good day is a good day...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Keith, Happy Birthday.

I am 45 and I still think I am 16. I hope I have way more than half a jar. Just having to much fun.

Alan

Biologically: chronometer say 65 years 6 months
    Some days physically: 101 yrs or better
    Mentally most days: a range 5yrs & up
    Maturity according to current wife: a child
    My internal timex: 35 yrs
    Spiritually: Chronos time