Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any vintage models of Low Angle Jack planes?

The only reason i have a stanley 62 la jack is because i got it for 25 bucks... It works great even with the mouth chip.. If i was going to do it over again id get the veritas, i can only magine how nice that would be with an INTACT mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    +1 on this. Mass is very helpful when shooting. I can muscle a light plane through the job. If there is more than one or two pieces to be done, my shoulder lets me know it isn't happy.

Another thing to consider is the longer toe on a jack plane not only helps to register the work, it gives more room to get the plane in motion so the mass helps in the cut.

jtk
    I use the LV Low Angle Smooth Plane that Prashun mentioned for shooting (and it's my regular smoothing plane). But Bill and Jim are right, the mass of a jack would be helpful. On small pieces the LA Smooth is fine for shooting. On larger pieces I have to put some oomph behind it, and sometimes still fail to make a clean, full-contact pass all the way across the edge without stopping.

Dang it guys, now you've got me wanting to pull the trigger on an LA jack! Thus far I've been successful in resisting the whole LA/BU plane craze, but for shooting its getting pretty dang hard to resist. You all suck....bunch of enablers you are!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-10-2012 at 7:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    You all suck....bunch of enablers you are!
    Chris......you keep coming back here, right?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Chris......you keep coming back here, right?
    Touche'...... Admittedly, I do my fair share of enabling as well, but just because I suck, that doesn't change the fact that you all do too.

When I see threads that ask about "vintage" BU planes I smile as I recall the Stanley #62 I purchased about 8 years ago. This was before the BU planes became as popular as they are today, although they were already beginning to become so. The Stanley #62 was my attempt to get my toes in the water, and the article I wrote on its restoration led to meeting Rob Lee, and subsequently working on a whole host of BU planes. So I have a soft spot for the Stanley #62 ... although I would not recommend anyone buying one in place of a modern version (by LV or LN). The modern versions are built of ductile iron and break-proof. The vintage versions are grey iron and fragile.

I still have my Stanley, and pull it out occasionally to use it on soft woods. It brings a smile to my face ...

The article I wrote on the Stanley #62 and Veritas LA Jack is here (be kind - it was the first review I wrote): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tasLAJack.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think it's been mentioned here before but the current Stanley company has released a series of modern planes called the "Sweetheart" series and that includes a new version of the 62 . Reviews seem mixed; some like it, others don't. One of the main complaints is that the japanning seems to flake off with use. Starting on Feb. 14, Amazon will be selling this plane for $115.50. I have the LN 164 and frequently wish I'd bought the 62 instead. I suspect, however, I'd get the LV Low-Angle Jack if I make that move.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    I think it's been mentioned here before but the current Stanley company has released a series of modern planes called the "Sweetheart" series and that includes a new version of the 62 . Reviews seem mixed; some like it, others don't. One of the main complaints is that the japanning seems to flake off with use. Starting on Feb. 14, Amazon will be selling this plane for $115.50. I have the LN 164 and frequently wish I'd bought the 62 instead. I suspect, however, I'd get the LV Low-Angle Jack if I make that move.
    In a world where the LV Low-Angle Jack or the LN #62 are known quantities and there are still questions about the Stanley offering it would be wise to stay with the winners. Someday Stanley may overcome problems they have had with production. Just the same it will not have a great effect on the secondary market. Sometimes that is the best guarantee for a buyer if for some reason the product does not meet one's needs or expectations.

My caveat would be to inspect and use the Stanley #62 before buying. This opportunity was presented to me before purchasing my LN #62. Though with the business practices provided by both LV & LN I would not have hesitated to buy either of these purveyor's product over the phone or internet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

since we're on the subject of low-angle planes, have a look at this!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320838730158...ht_2142wt_1396

Regarding the new Stanley #62, I have used it briefly on a shooting board, after tuning it up for its owner. While it appeared nicely made, and performed well in bench plane mode, I found it difficult to grip on the shooting board. The problem was its broad lever cap, as I could not get my fingers below to grip in the style I use on the LV LA Jack. For more details on gripping the latter, and for a comparison of three shooting board planes, go here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html

Joe, the plane you link to is the Stanley #164 (although the eBay ad calls it a #64). This is a rare plane, unlike the #62. The few examples that remain fetch high prices.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have to disagree with you Derek - I checked the catalogs and Patrick Leach's site. There is a 64 and it's japanned as per the eBay photo.
    But for proof I went to the really useful site of one of your fellow countrymen:
    The 164: http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com....nley%20160.htm
    The 64: http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com....anley%2064.htm
    I believe there's still validity to your point - it appears both are seldom seen.

Hi Joe

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing about ... ???

The #164 is rare and, therefore, expensive I said, you said and Hans Brunner says ..

Stanley 164 Low Angle Planeoffered 1926-1943value A$ 3,000 - no chips or cracks!9" long with a 2 inch cutterOne of the very rare Stanley planes. As with all low angle planes, pay attention to the sole. This plane is prone to chips and cracks around the mouth and that devalues the tool considerably. In fact, I strongly advise anybody not to buy a damaged plane - unless you get it for a song.
    164 sole details

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,
    First off, my apologies - I see that my post was unclear.
    I make reference to this line in your original post: "Joe, the plane you link to is the Stanley #164 (although the eBay ad calls it a #64)"
    My point was that the poster didn't erroneously list a #164 as a #64 -- they are two different planes (see the (2) links I provided) - and he has correctly referenced the one he is selling.
    Hope that clears things up.

(by the way - I'm a fan of your posts - both instructional and tool reviews.)

Well Joe, I owe you an apology. I apologise! And I learn something new. I was not aware of the existence of a #64, only a #164. They look the same, but the #64 lacks the adjustable mouth of the #164 (and the astronomical price tag - although it remains in the silly price range).

Thanks for the correction.

Regards from Perth

Derek