Thread: Mineral spirits, paint thinner, turpentine, which and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alan could be right

Odorless MS doesn't clean brushes when I use Behlen's Rock Hard varnish. I find I have to use stripper each time. Anybody else have this problem?

Odorless and Low oder MS are not a strong as regular mineral sprits yet they charge MORE!

Behlen's uses a different thinner in their varnish and I like their thinner better to thin the varnish; reg MS to clean is fine.

Make sure you soak your brush in mineral spirits or the Behlen's thinner BEFORE you use the brush, it conditions the bristles; makes the finish flow better and the brush cleans MUCH easier.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks, Scott. I also need a better brush. I'm using a 1" Purdey, but the varnish doesn't go on as smooth as I'd like. It's not easy to get full coverage on a gunstock without getting sags. Or, at least, I find it so. I think a better brush will help.

OR thin the varnish more and wipe it on.

If you're lookng for a good brush Gramercy brushes are some of the best.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I've thought about that, but am concerned about ghosting when I rub out a top coat applied by wiping in on. I saw a thread on brushes, but can't find it. I'll look for a Gramercy. Thanks!

BTW, if you haven't seen Scott's video on brush cleaning / care, it's great. Definitely changed how I care for my brushes, and they look and work much better now.

What do you use for citrus cleaner, Scott? The only stuff I found at home was Goo Gone. I'm going to find something better in the supermarket, but I was wondering if you had a favorite.

I went and bought a Grammercy brush, and it's soooo much better than the Purdy or Woodcraft brushes I was previously using.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Just any citrus clean; it's sole function is to help get the mineral spirits out of the brush so you can get the soap and water to suds faster.
    Scott

While we're on the subject, I recently bought a gallon of Odorless MS. Was shocked to see that it looked as if someone had cleaned a brush full of white paint in the stuff leaving a heavy white sediment. Shake the can and it almost looks like white paint. I could not bring myself to clean a varnish brush with this stuff, yet alone thin varnish with it. What on earth is this crap?