Thread: Problems Removing Rust From A Handplane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What you're seeing is simply the surface of the good metal that was under that rust before you removed it. EvapoRust is not supposed to attack the metal, and I've let things, including planes, soak MUCH longer than you did with no damage. All EvapoRust does is remove the rust; it doesn't turn the rust back into elemental metal. It also leaves a residue that has to be cleaned off by methods that others have already explained. But you didn't do anything to cause the damage to the surface of the metal itself. The corrosion process caused it before you ever got the plane.

There is, however, one strange effect of EvapoRust that I've noticed and can't quite explain. After I've used it to clean chisels and other edge tools that have carbon steel inlays, the inlay is sometimes quite a bit darker than the other metal. But even then, the chemicals don't seem to cause any surface damage.
    Last edited by Michael Ray Smith; 03-08-2012 at 9:10 AM.
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    There is, however, one strange effect of EvapoRust that I've noticed and can't quite explain. After I've used it to clean chisels and other edge tools that have carbon steel inlays, the inlay is sometimes quite a bit darker than the other metal. But even then, the chemicals don't seem to cause any surface damage.
    That is probably the effect that I am seeing. The metal is darker and duller than clean bare iron and the pits that were there from the rust are darker yet.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I've noticed the same effect with Evaporust. I like using it, though you really have to protect the parts very soon after you pull it from the bath. I dunked a metal level into Evaporust and only half at a time would fit. I pulled out the cleaned side and turned it around to do the other half, and walked away. The cleaned side rusted up by the time I got back around to checking on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
    I pulled out the cleaned side and turned it around to do the other half, and walked away. The cleaned side rusted up by the time I got back around to checking on it!
    I think that's called flash rusting. I've seen it when I've cleaned off the residue with soap and water without using anything else to protect against it. (After it happened a time or two, I started applying WD-40 after the water wash. I suspect cleaning with mineral spirits instead of soap and water would also prevent it.) If you leave the EvapoRust on, it's supposed to protect against flash rusting for at least a little while -- but apparently that doesn't always work!
    Michael Ray Smith

Great Thread, Have used EvapoRust also and have had good success with the rust removal and was very satisfied with that. Actually inherited a bunch of old hand tools when my dad passed away and some were in pretty poor shape. I actually started using some gun products that have rust prevention additives in them (I like the smell and less oily-ness of them) after the cleaning and it seems to work well. Still has the grey tone but am very happy at the loss of rust and being able to restore and use the tools. Will try some of the above suggestions and see what I think. Thanks guys.