Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl One

Bowl One

Compared to the soaring eagles of this forum, I am but an ant. However, at least today, I'm a happy ant.
    Here's the first product from my newly arrived Grizzly G0698. Cherry, just over 4" dia.
    BowlOne_1.jpegBowlOne_2.jpeg
    The foot is too fat, there's toolmarks on the underside, and I have no clue how to really finish it (single coat of WOP, for now). Life is good!

Hi John .... I think it is a very pleasing bowl, my first bowl was not near as nice.

Well done, be sure to sign and date it.

Tim

My first bowl was cherry, My first bowl is still on display and used every day.
    Put some cashews in it and enjoy

I wonder how many first bowls are cherry!! So was mine.

John, you did a fine job on it, and while you will improve quickly and your later bowls will be much better, this one will be treasured!

Good show. Many years of turning enjoyment to you.
    C&C WELCOME

The long journey to good turning starts with the first step... and it is a cutie

Man, Not bad for a first bowl. Still got mine and like previously indicated, we use it absolutley every day. Keep the chips flying and the photos posted.

A lot of eagles on this site wish their first bowl had such fair curves and clean cuts. Great start. However, if "Doc" sees this post you're going to get a comment on the foot. He can't help himself, he's an orthopod not a podiatrist.
    faust

My first was a cup made from maple but if I had cherry It could have been my first. Love cherry, turns easy and looks great, your cherry bowl is no exception, looks great to me whether it be a first or hundredth.

"The best things in life are not things."

Great first bowl, John. You kept the arc of the bowl through the foot, I still haven't figured that out yet. I have my first bowl. I put it next to my latest creations to so I can see where I've come from.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

An excellent first bowl. Many people would be happy with that quality several bowls later. Nice curves, no noticeable tool-marks inside. While I agree with you on the foot, the important thing is you completed the bowl and made a reasonable assessment of what you can improve on. None of us are perfect, but as long as we enjoy the journey, we will get better. Don't be too hard on yourself, just because the foot is a little big does not make this piece a failure, it is really a very nice piece.

That's a great start! Be sure to sign and date it! You will get better and better and poorer and poorer.

13. Congrats on your first bowl.........pretty nice! Congrats on your new G0698!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

very nice, we share your joy

15. Absolutely GREAT first bowl! Unlike many of my fellow creekers, my first bowl is quite unsightly and unusable. Although I must admit that I made it before I joined this site and the AAW for that fact. I keep it on my shelf in the shop and smile whenever I look at it. It was the first step in an amazing journey! Enjoy the trip!