• Non SS Owner: I've been injured

69 14.11%
  • Non SS Owner: no injuries

336 68.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: SawStop vs Non SS Table saws poll....Accidents and accidental firings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Although it wasn't intended as such it looks to becoming a referendum on the SS. Non blade injuries should at least be segregated as SS has no real advantage there. The percentage of kickback to blade injuries is probably relevant however. Dave

Case in point: the scar on my forehead from a kickback injury on my sawstop... which of course was my fault. I'm currently the only person who voted with an injury on my SS.

Sorry to pile on here, but while I do enjoy this conversation, I also don't think you can use this data for anything.

You would need to normalize this data based on the number of SS and non-SS saws in use today. Obviously you're going to have higher numbers for all stats in the non-ss categories because there are more far more non-ss tablesaws in use than SS tablesaws. You'd need some kind of per capita measure.

Or maybe you would only survey people who have bought a brand new saw since SS hit the market. Likewise, some saws have riving knives, blade guards, anti-kickback pawls, etc, and others don't. You can't compare a ryobi benchtop saw to a euro slider or SS, etc.

But like I said, interesting conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Although it wasn't intended as such it looks to becoming a referendum on the SS. Non blade injuries should at least be segregated as SS has no real advantage there. The percentage of kickback to blade injuries is probably relevant however. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Sorry to pile on here, but while I do enjoy this conversation, I also don't think you can use this data for anything.
    It's a simple poll, with kickbacks included intentionally. It's not a comparison of SS technology.

What would I use the data for, Peter? It's just a poll. Too many people are trying to make it more than it is for the purposes of explaining why it's not.

How'd the kickback happen anyway, Peter? I think I remember you posting about that.

I think the riving knife will get rid of some of the major board launching back at the user type situations, but it's still possible with smaller pieces to get them jammed up before the knife.

The poll itself is flawed as the potential answers just don't go deep enough, and raises more questions than it answers. Such as...

Those SawStop, and non Saw Stop owners that have had injuries, what sort of injuries were they? If they are a flesh to blade injury, was the guard in place at the time of accident?

I have found that not all, but what appears to be a large majority of saw accidents involving flesh to moving blade come from the user bypassing safety devices... In these cases sure the SawStop tech would have helped. Assuming the brake wasn't turned off... So it's not really the SawStop feature so much as using the safety devices on a saw, SawStop or not that tends to keep your digits in place...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It's a simple poll, with kickbacks included intentionally. It's not a comparison of SS technology.

What would I use the data for, Peter? It's just a poll. Too many people are trying to make it more than it is for the purposes of explaining why it's not.
    Not trying to dis your thread! But as an analyst by trade, I'm uncomfortable with peoples' attempts to infer injury rates from this data. This poll doesn't provide the data one needs to properly do so, even for rough purposes.

I should have said "I also don't think you can use this data to draw any conclusions." Obviously none of us are going to DO anything with this poll data, but it shouldn't have any influence on one's perception of the value of the safety mechanism either way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    How'd the kickback happen anyway, Peter? I think I remember you posting about that.
    Assuming you don't have issues with blood and gore, have a look at the thread I created. You posted in another thread that you had a guy come into your store high on pain meds with a bloody head... that could've been me, except my doctor just told me to take Advil!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...!!)&highlight=