Thread: Moderate to severe gloat

Moderate to severe gloat

Got a call from a dear friend of mine, he'll give you the shirt off his back if he even thinks there is a need. He was helping me with my bandsaw last week and a gave him a pen and a 10" bowl made from a ton of claro he threw in my truck...gloat 1) I go back Saturday for 2-6"x12"x60" beams of claro. Today he tosses the stuff in the pic in my truck, gloat 2) english curly walnut 10/4x20"x50" and 8/4 curly redwood that we had to cut in half.
    Gloat 3) He has about about 1000bf of each I'm welcome to whenever I run out. There is also about 500bf of 8/4x14" black curly walnut I have my eye on. Although not an offer to sell, I have plenty and will probably bring a truck load to San Jose...I like sharing!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

big gloat and you should have some offers for lunch

Congrats!! Any plans on what you are going to turn out of some of it?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Platters and shallow bowls Steve. I planed off a slab on each, tossed some water on it and this is the grain...the pic's of the walnut stink...it really is beautiful. The redwood speaks for itself Cell phone pic's, but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That Redwood is going to be breath-taking! Looking forward to seeing the platters!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Jim, if you were ever to, I don't know, swap bowls with someone, that redwood might be a candidate for said swap...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice to have good friends who recognize your needs. Nice wood. If this happen to me, my wife would be nervous that it just gave me a good excuse to buy more tools. I dont understand where she would get such an idea.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 03-29-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

8. Jim, you are one lucky guy, man that's a ton of very nice wood, you could make some very elegant boxes with that thickness.

Jim, you are a lucky man!! That is a major gloat. The redwood is beautiful and I find that Claro will really pop with finish. Some VERY nice platter stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Although not an offer to sell, I have plenty and will probably bring a truck load to San Jose...I like sharing!!
    Too bad I won't be making it to San Jose this June. Perhaps you could drop a couple of pieces off in my Dad's driveway in Berkeley! That redwood looks to be EXCEPTIONAL!!
    John Altberg

Jim, since you have so much of it, you might want to try a book matched glue up with an accent between to thicken the stock so you won't be limited to shallow bowls and platters... Or do a bowl from a board! Seem to have seen something about doing that somewhere...I just can't remember where...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great looking stuff Jim. I may have to reconsider not driving to San Jose!

Jim I would say that is a serious/major gloat. Can't wait to see some turnings from it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.