Thread: Making fence smaller

Making fence smaller

I have a Delta X5 cabinet saw with a 50" Biesemeyer fence. Because I am now in a smaller shop than when I bought the saw I need to
    have a smaller fence. I am thinking I would like to make it a 27" fence. To do this do I just cut everything (the fence rail, the front and
    rear angle irons and the table) down by 23"? Assuming this is what I do, once it's done does the end of the table need to have support
    legs or are the angle irons sufficient to support that end?

Thanks for your help.
    Stan
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I'm assuming you want 27" rails. Yes, just cut the angle iron and fence rail, I use a hacksaw to start a grove for the cut followed by a sawzall w/a metal cutting blade. Cleanup the edges with a file, paint the ends if rust is a concern, pop the endcaps back on. I ran this exact setup for years with a cast iron extension wing to the right of the table. The angle iron supported this and a wood extension w/no additional support. When I added a cast iron router table I added a cabinet to support the additional weight.

You could probably make someone happy by placing a WTT (wanted to trade) advertisement in Craigslist or somewhere. Someone with shorter rails would probably be delighted to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    You could probably make someone happy by placing a WTT (wanted to trade) advertisement in Craigslist or somewhere. Someone with shorter rails would probably be delighted to trade.
    I was thinking the same.

Most short rip table saws don't have any table support to the right of the cabinet.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.