Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osage Orange and resin vessel

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Alan thanks for the hint. For my first one, the Ant Pool, I left about an 1/8" and yes I did have a few spots with no resin even though I pressurized it to about 45lbs. Should it be more? I also had the problem of not enough resin in my first pour and had to do a second one. Of course in the second one there were even more areas of voided resin. How do you estimate the proper amount of resin?
    James,

Far as figuring volume if more a less an educated guess. I have done it so much that I am rarely more than 4 or 5 oz. off. I use to mathematically figure the volume of the form and the piece as close as possible. Now I have extra resin and pigments ready to mix just in case I do not have enough to fill the form.

Pressure is a sensitive subject and the pressures I use are not for the faint of heart. I never suggest that anyone uses my methods and I will just say the pressures I use are significantly higher than what you are using or that any pots are rated for.

Good Luck

Alan

Everyone,

Thanks, for the compliments. I really appreciate it. The piece of wood and the orientation of the wood is always the determining factor how these pieces turns out. That is the reason that on my burl pieces I hate the term "worthless wood" as there are very few pieces that I find that will fit the criteria that I set to make a piece. I have always said that a big part of the artistry of these pieces is just picking and orienting the piece of wood.

Allen,

I use powdered mica pigments. There are many brands and I have used many different brands. This piece I used Jacquard brand of pigments.

Good Luck

Alan

Beautiful piece Alan. Really nice form and color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Alan, you did it again. Another beautiful piece.

Got a question. A little explanation first. When I was casting jewlry, I used this stuff called "investment", kind of like cement or plaster. According to instructions, mix it proprtionally with investment to water and stir for two minutes, vaccum for 2 minutes, pour it into flask with objects to be cast, then vaccum again for 2 minutes... Total working time or pot life till hardened was 9-10 minutes depending on invironmental/altitude conditions. I never had any bubbles in any of my castings as the vaccum removed all air from the investment.
    Now the question. Could the Allumalite be vaccumed to remove the bubbles generated while mixing, then pour it into the mold, vaccum it to remove air from all the voids you have, release the vaccum, which would cause the allumalite to flow into the voids, then pressurize your pot to cause the resin to find all those voids that the released vaccum didn't fill?... ..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post

Got a question. A little explanation first. When I was casting jewlry, I used this stuff called "investment", kind of like cement or plaster. According to instructions, mix it proprtionally with investment to water and stir for two minutes, vaccum for 2 minutes, pour it into flask with objects to be cast, then vaccum again for 2 minutes... Total working time or pot life till hardened was 9-10 minutes depending on invironmental/altitude conditions. I never had any bubbles in any of my castings as the vaccum removed all air from the investment.
    Now the question. Could the Allumalite be vaccumed to remove the bubbles generated while mixing, then pour it into the mold, vaccum it to remove air from all the voids you have, release the vaccum, which would cause the allumalite to flow into the voids, then pressurize your pot to cause the resin to find all those voids that the released vaccum didn't fill?... ..... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Jerry,

It would probably work with vacuum if you had a pump with a high CFM rating that it could pull it down fast enough. I have a little familiarity with investment and it is thinner than the clear resins that I use. Pressure just allows much faster way to deal with the bubbles in the resin.

Alan

Yep, another very nice piece! I like the combo and it will be interesting to see how it looks after the Osage Orange ages to brown.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    Jerry, It would probably work with vacuum if you had a pump with a high CFM rating that it could pull it down fast enough. I have a little familiarity with investment and it is thinner than the clear resins that I use. Pressure just allows much faster way to deal with the bubbles in the resin.
    Alan
    Jerry, I agree with Alan it does work because I have used both vacuum and pressure for small items such as pen blanks. However, the problem I would have with doing something like this using both is timing. The pot life for the resin I use is only a few minutes, there just is not enough time(for me) to mix, pour, vacuum, then pressurize. By the time I got the vacuum going good it would already be setting up then the pressure would not be very effective especially since I am limited to 50psi. A person that could do things faster might be able to do it effectively but everything would have to fall into place without a glitch.

"The best things in life are not things."

8. Major eye candy, Alan!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Again,

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate all the compliments.

Alan