Thread: Ever hide tools from your wife??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sue and I reached an agreement 25+ years ago when we became empty nesters and the disposable income shot up significantly. I don't ask her about what she spends on golf and she doesn't ask about my tools. The only corrollary to this rule is that if the joint account is to be used for any amount over $500 notice must be served that a purchase is to be made. Since starting Chester Toolworks as a side business 7 years ago none of "our" money has been used to buy tools. Having a woodworking related business has great benefits. We have always been honest with each other and I have never tried to sneak a tool into the house. Spousal presents yes, but tools no.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

When we first started out I explained two very important rules.

1. You will buy "cheap" the rest of your life, or have "quality" for a lifetime.

2. Every job requires a new tool.

Once she found out these rules apply to her as well as me, she was convinced!

I never hide tool purchases from my wife.

But there have been numerous times when I might 'forget to mention' them.

The goal is to last at least a few months without being discovered and then when she sees it and says "When did you get that?", I can say, "That? Oh I've had that for a while".

Then change the subject.

She doesn't really mind because that's where her new kitchen is coming from.

My wife of 32 years is very understanding - but not ALL the time. Over the years, I've found that by including tool purchase "overhead" into cost estimates for household projects, I get the tool, she doesn't begrudge the expense, and domestic peace is kept.

For instance - when doing a renovation which I estimate will cost $1000.00 (just for ease of math), I ALWAYS add 25% for unforeseen "stuff", bringing the estimate to $1250.00 - I THEN add 10% to THAT for tool purchases, in this case bringing the total to $1375.00. The $1375.00 is the number I bring to her for approval. If I end up spending $1100.00 for the actual project, that leaves $275.00 for tool purchases. For larger tool purchases, I keep the "saved" funds from past projects in a separate household account until I have accumulated the required amount.

SWAMBO is aware of the whole procedure, and has no problem with it - it is UNEXPECTED/UNFORECASTED expenditures that make her see red. As I said earlier - I've been married for 32 years - I haven't made an UNEXPECTED/UNFORECASTED expenditure for well over 25 years, and I have a shop full of tools as well as a happy wife.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.