Each year, the Governor, in conjunction with various state agencies, hosts the Governor's Derby Celebration in Frankfort. From there, the Governor traditionally takes a train to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby, which always occurs on the first Saturday in May. Needless to say, in Kentucky, the Derby is a big deal!

The festivities include "the crowd-pleasing tradition of having Kentucky craftsmen exhibiting and selling their work." As a juried member of the KY Arts Council, I had the opportunity to submit my work for possible inclusion in the limited art exhibit. I was fortunate to be chosen as one of about a dozen artists to exhibit that morning. This is the press release on the event.
DERBY CELBRATION.pdf

It is a relatively short exhibit of only a few hours. However, the visibility will be huge as the events are open to the public and traditionally draw thousands of folks to the grounds of the Old Capitol in downtown Frankfort. While I will have some of my work for sale, I more excited about the honor of being included!

As a prelude to the event, this past Tuesday, First Lady Jane Beshear hosted a reception in the rotunda of the Capitol building for exhibiting artists, including those three dimensional artists that presently have an exhibit on display in the Capitol. The Governor and the First Lady own a farm and residence in Clark County, my home county. During his days of practicing law, then attorney Steve Beshear frequently appeared in the courts in Clark County where I practice, and Ms. Beshear and I shared some conversation after the reception about "the good ol' days."
RECEPTION PIC.jpg
The First Lady is on the left and Marcheta Sparrow, Secretary of Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage is in the middle. I do clean up my attire every now and then! Normally, it would be blue jeans and a Henley shirt.

Just wanted to share my experience with the creek! I hope to get some pics of the exhibit the morning of May 5.