Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyed Ash Cremation Urn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dyed Ash Cremation Urn

I have done a few cremation urns, and I have started to get some sales. Encouraged by that, I decided to do one that was perhaps a bit more masculine than some of the others I have done. I am not sure it makes a difference, but variety is the spice of life!

This one is dyed with Fiebing's medium brown leather dye. Some parts were rubbed out with DNA to show some appearance of handheld patina and shellac was added as a sealer coat. The beaded areas and detail recesses were then brushed with shellac to which leather dye and black Transtint were added and then wiped off with a piece of shop towel soaked in DNA and clear shellac. That left the dark shellac in the recesses for more of an aged look.

The finish is a couple of coats of satin WOP, buffed with tripoli and Ren wax for a hand rubbed look. Dimensions are 6.75" x 12.5" tall. The threads are ABS plastic.

Not at all a traditional urn form or top, but let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it, very nice form and finish. The wood is more plain than most of your work but the dye added some nice color.

I like the form and the color and finish are excellent. While I like the top I would probably try a shorter version. Not sure why, but if it were my turning I would experiment with the size and height of the top. Then maybe settle on the one you did.

John the bottom is very appealing to me, the shape, the color, everything works well together. The top on the other hand just doesn't speak to me, JMHO. I took the liberty to play with it, hope you don't mind. Gives it more of a traditional look.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Good looking urn, John. Now once you getting to hand chasing threads...
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks, again, for the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, John

could you describe your threads that you did use, ie i am not familiar with the abs threads, where did you buy them, did you glue them on, etc, thanks
    Charlie, I don't know the name for these plumbing couplings, but here they are. The inside diameter of the male threads is 2". I just chuck the pieces up and turn a shoulder on the female section and turn the end off the male threads. The thread on these has some "gain" to it - they are tapered For that reason, you can use only the end of the male threads. The middle section would not start very well in a new set of female threads. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Studley View Post
    Dyed ash?... Is that a pun?

Since you have to have "Died" and be Ash to really "Get Into" this form...
    That is good, Chris!! What about Ashes to Ash for a title?

Thanks, guys! Mike G., that is an excellent suggestion on the top - I will store that one for a future piece.

Mike P., I really do need to try the thread chasing. I have two sets of chasers, but seems most of the wood I use is not preferred for chasing. I need to try my hand at chasing on some inserts of persimmon for the next one!

very nice, John

could you describe your threads that you did use, ie i am not familiar with the abs threads, where did you buy them, did you glue them on, etc, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, John

Try this link. http://www.woodturningonline.com/turning/turning_content/threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf OOps the link is not working. Carl
    Last edited by Carl Civitella; 06-05-2012 at 9:29 AM.

Very rich and elegant looking John, but then, what else would we expect from you.

Sounds like the majority do not care for the knob idea! Always good to get feedback. I will say it fits the hand nicely!

Thanks for all the comments and for looking. I hope to experiment on other urns to achieve a more traditional look, perhaps, but I am given to deviating from the norm quite often.

I love the form and the color. Kinda with Mike on the topper.

"...most of the wood I use is not preferred for chasing..."

I used to do quite a bit of threading and one thing I discovered is that if wood is wet, it threads much better. A quick misting from a spray bottle can tame many woods that would normally be resistant to the threading process. I am really wanting to aquire some chasers and try cutting threads. I'm sure it's quite different from the comparatively course threads I have made in the past for things like vices and clamps.
    David DeCristoforo

13. Very nice, John.......great finish.........I like Mike Golka's suggestion on the top as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

John, I like the small base but get a little queasy about it turning over or being dropped while dusting etc.so I flair the base out a little for that reason. Like your dye job. It is on my to learn list. I also use the black pvc instead of chasing the threads. Seems to me it would warp, as wood is prone to do. Max

Very nice form and the color is kinda soothing. I like it.