Thread: Mulberry Bowl with a Hollow Rim

Mulberry Bowl with a Hollow Rim

I'm not sure "hollow" is the right word for this rim, but I don't know what it's actually called so that's what I went with.

11"x3.5"

I have called that style "rolled rim", not sure if that is right. Anyway; you did a great job on it, I know it is tricky to make the cut under the rim. I really like the way the grain is balanced on this bowl, shape is nice too.

Undercut? This is really nice, Jeremy. I haven't seen a rim like this before. It's something I'd like to try. Was the wood dry when you did this? It looks so fragile. Nice job with the grain, like Dennis said.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Very nice indeed.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Thanks. Doug, it's twice turned. I simply left a bit of a bulbous rim when roughing it out. It isn't as fragile as it might appear, although I'm thinking of rounding out the bottom of the lip more to better guard against dings. I stopped "hollowing" out the rim where it is because I was afraid of it becoming too fragile, however.
    Last edited by Jeremy Leasure; 06-04-2012 at 2:59 PM. Reason: typo

Excellent example of good tool control! That is a difficult cut.

very nice, Jeremy

You did good! Great looking bowl! Like Doug - I would call this an undercut rim... but you're the artist!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great execution. I like it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Really nice looking bowl. I like the undercut rim. That is a difficult cut to make.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'd call it a very nicely done roll rim bowl. You did not mention your finish, but it looks very good. I expect that it will darken with time, but the grain really shows. I have a piece of Mulberry that is still in the finishing stage with 3 coats of oil/poly that I hope ends up looking this nice.

I just like the simplicity of this piece & the skill in executing it, well done Jeremy
    Pete

I saw this on another forum, and I think I commented there. But the rolled rim is worth commenting again..good job
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Jeremy,
    A rolled rim makes a big bowl easier to pick up, especially when it's full of fruit. Well done!!
    faust

Thanks for all the comments, I like this one as well. I was wondering though, how should I approach doing these in the future? Specifically, when roughing a bowl you intend to shape this way, which would be better, roughing it out to this basic shape or just leaving the rim overly thick when roughing? Which do you figure would result in less losses due to checks and cracks?

Edit: Someone mentioned finish. I sanded to 320 then wet sanded with thinned BLO with 400 and the "buffed" all the excess off with paper towels until they had mostly no trace of discoloration. Then I let it dry for 24 hours or so and Renwaxed it.
    Last edited by Jeremy Leasure; 06-05-2012 at 4:37 PM.