Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epilog 36EXT 45w *Fire damaged*

Spoke to Epilog and have dismantled top quarter, now to start cleaning up an see what's salvageable, debating if. I sent the lid for powder coat or just leave as is!
    must say Epilog was extremely helpfully and sympathetic.
    anyway must keep going...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Browning View Post
    Spoke to Epilog and have dismantled top quarter, now to start cleaning up an see what's salvageable, debating if. I sent the lid for powder coat or just leave as is!
    must say Epilog was extremely helpfully and sympathetic.
    anyway must keep going...........
    Epilog Tech Support Rocks!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I fixed a laser worse than this.
    Everything rubber or plastic you have to assume is melted.

You will need new keypad, acrylic glass on top and probably belts, hoses, air assist shocks for the cover, Probably need new IKO bearing or two for the gantr OF course my experience is with a Legend 24EX.

You will know more about the laser than you wanted to know. Some of the electrical harnesses will be shorted, especially to the display assembly.
    You can tone out the connections looking for shorts or just replace the harnesses. Some of them you can rebuild yourself with ribbon cable.

The keyboard/display will be expensive.

This laser is worth keeping.

Keep the cover charred to remind you to watch the laser as it runs in the future.

Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy.

Epilog support was the best for me. They will make a lot of money off of you for parts but you get some of the money back in advice and correct part numbers.

good luck
    Last edited by andrew zen; 07-07-2012 at 6:10 PM.
    Legend 24EX, Amaya (Big Red), Server Farm, PBX System Integrator, (5) Shopsmith Mark VII's. Smithy metal 3-1, anything old and grey I will think about buying. " I learn from failure - I learn everyday, but only fail when I refuse to learn."

Quote Originally Posted by andrew zen View Post
    Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy
    You would be better off with a Halon (or the new substitute for Halon).

I'm surprised that the manufacturers haven't come up with a Halon/new halon "fire suppression system" that you could deploy by hitting a button of some sort. It would be nothing to add piping and a trigger and the money saved would be pretty significant! But then again, if the mfg made it easy to save a machine then they would lose an opportunity to sell you a new one...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    You would be better off with a Halon (or the new substitute for Halon).

I'm surprised that the manufacturers haven't come up with a Halon/new halon "fire suppression system" that you could deploy by hitting a button of some sort. It would be nothing to add piping and a trigger and the money saved would be pretty significant! But then again, if the mfg made it easy to save a machine then they would lose an opportunity to sell you a new one...

Gary
    Haltron is one of the new replacements for Halon it is not cheap but great insurance and no clean up or corrosion. Look on Ebay I paid 116.00 for a new Kiddie one 2.5 lbs mounts next to the unit good for 5 years with out inspection 12 before a test is needed. From what I have been told it is cheaper to toss the unit out then charge it.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

What is better about Halon types than CO2 extinguishers?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    What is better about Halon types than CO2 extinguishers?
    Haltron is designed for electrical / computer environments it is a gas that basically removes oxygen, there is no clean up. C02 will be too cold and can crack and damage things that are hot like your laser tube..
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

stared ordering parts, $1200 and counting......