Thread: Questions on State B-4 spindle sander

Questions on State B-4 spindle sander

Does anyone know of a source for the spindles for a State B-4 spindle sander? The sander I am looking at only has 1 3" spindle with it. Also, is $300 a decent deal for one of these in decent shape, 3 phase?

Go to owwm.org. There were different types and none are available unless that has recently changed. Unless you get lucky the spindles will run 50-100 each so a machine with is a better deal. Three phase is the way to go with a vfd. Dave

$300 is a great deal!

Does it have tapered or tapered and threaded spindles? Not like it matters, as both are hard to come by. Somebody with a metal lathe could help you out, supposedly the taper isnt a common MT. I got lucky and mine came with more than a complete set of spindles.

Ben,

Did you buy yours at an auction near Madison, WI. If so, I was there, I was the one who bought the 16 foot genuine mahogany boards.

As said check over at OWWM, I believe there was talk about someone machining them up at one time? Not sure if I'm remembering that right or not though. You can also look around and post WTB ads for spindles. As for price I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Always better when you get spindles with it, but getting the machine is the harder part. Worse case scenario you can always have a local machinist make the spindles.....not going to find one that can make up the whole machine though

good luck,
    JeffD

I am of a little different opinion. The price is good and the snader is a great one BUT I only conisder a OSS when I have a hard price for the sander and an entire set of spindles. If you are missing one or two sourcing them or getting them made made be a none issue money wise but a full set may run more than what you can get a complete setup for even at what would be considered dealer price... Just something to think about and investigate.

My personal opinion is most of the OSS that are down to one spindle have been used in production, doing one thing over and over for years, where a OSS with a full compliment of spindles has a better likelyhood of coming from a pattern shop or the like, where machines are often better respected.

In the end these are just the gut feelings of a guy who has a State or Max on his list but is waiting for the full Monte, since I have seen people struggle and over-pay to complete a set of spindles.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well, I bought it for $250, just have to pick it up yet. I agree the spindles might get costly, but I have a few machinist friends who could possible make a few or I will just search for a few. I certainly don't need a full set, but I will need a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Horswill View Post
    Ben,

Did you buy yours at an auction near Madison, WI. If so, I was there, I was the one who bought the 16 foot genuine mahogany boards.
    Nope, picked it up from a man in his 80s in Chicago that had been doing pattern making out of his basement for 30 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Nope, picked it up from a man in his 80s in Chicago that had been doing pattern making out of his basement for 30 years!
    A patternmaker with a complte set of spindles... go figure. As I mentioned I love getting stuff from pattern makers, they tend to be meticulous and rarely are the machines abused since their work has more in common with fine furniture than production work.

Curtis, I am sure you will do fine and it is a heck of a machine for $250! I get manic about such things and it would drive me nuts and I would probably over-pay for the spindles since I wouldn't be able to wait... thats just me though!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I haven't checked the prices, but try http://www.statemfg.com/. email or phone Andy.

Got my Teco FM 50 VFD today to power up the State sander, questions on wiring to follow

I bought a Boice Crane OSS and it only had one spindle with it. The spindle was a 3/4" ,and had a 2-1/2" rubber sleeve slid on it. All I did was find a company that made rubber sleeve and ordered one 3'' one 1-1/2" and one 2''. They came with two washers each to fit over the spindle. Not cheap either 125.00 for all, but cheaper then spindles, and sure it would be nice to have every size spindles but I'll bet you will only use two or three sizes.
    Last edited by TODD RAYMER; 08-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.

I recently bought one complete with all the spindles for $200. It could use some cleaning up and has a 3 phase motor, I have it hooked up and running. I'm considering doing a complete tear down and restoration on it. It took me half a day just to identify what brand and manufacturer it was. Don't you just love the interweb! I found one online that was restored and it is a beautiful work of art.
    Quality by Design! nuff said....

Compare the spindle profile with those sold by Grizzly for their floor model.

I have an old Max and though I got a full set including a few extra ones, I think Grizzly spindles will fit it. Below is a diagram of a Max spindle. The taper is a Morse #2 above a standard RH threaded section.