Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Oversize Dust Collector? Oneida V System 3HP vs. 5HP

Ben,
    On a side note, is all your shop electrical done in EMT? How do you like it? I'm thinking about doing my next shop that way and any new circuits in this shop.

What's going on with the 110V receptacles above the 220V outlet? Are they on the same circuit or just multiple circuits in the same conduit? If they are on the same circuit, you need to include any load that could running on 110 while the DC is running when determining your service size needed.

Kirk,
    I checked the motor this morning, it had 14g leads. No clue what to think...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Kirk,
    Have you asked Oneida? Do they have a recommended service size in the manual?

Blog Entries
    Kirk,
    Ben,

For the shop wiring you need to install #10 wiring to meet code requirements and connect to a 30 amp breaker.

Need not be concerned with the wiring provided by Oneida. It's been tested by them.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Ben,
    On a side note, is all your shop electrical done in EMT? How do you like it? I'm thinking about doing my next shop that way and any new circuits in this shop.

What's going on with the 110V receptacles above the 220V outlet? Are they on the same circuit or just multiple circuits in the same conduit? If they are on the same circuit, you need to include any load that could running on 110 while the DC is running when determining your service size needed.
    Hi Michael,

My shop is in EMT. I like it a lot. Very versatile when it comes to adding or moving circuits and receptacles or changes to the lighting. I like the look of it anyway but I'm an electrician so I guess maybe that's why.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Ben,

For the shop wiring you need to install #10 wiring to meet code requirements and connect to a 30 amp breaker.

Need not be concerned with the wiring provided by Oneida. It's been tested by them.

PHM
    Paul,

I got it all swapped out last night, big difference with the 30A circuit. No longer can pop the breaker and it seems to be starting up much faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Ben,

Michael,

I wouldn't run a workshop in anything other than EMT. Way too nice to have the freedom that it gives you. That being said, my first house was in Chicago and that is how everything is done there, so it is what I am used to.

The 110 above the 220 is for the Dust Sentry. But the rest of my shop is ran very similar though. I have 4-packs of 110 outlets with a 20A 220V above. I have between 12-16 110V outlets and 3-4 220V outlets on each circuit. If I was to do it again, I would have used 3/4" conduit for the horizontal runs up top, but the 1/2" worked fine...

(The shop was a disaster here! Finally got the electrical done though!)

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it Ben.

Really nice looking shop you have. Liking that air condtioner.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Glad to hear it Ben.

Really nice looking shop you have. Liking that air condtioner.

PHM
    Paul,

Installing the heat pump (both heating and cooling) was definitely the best $1k out the tool fund I have spent in a while.

Still waiting for it to cool down enough to get the attic and doors insulated. We got a mess of rain last night and the shop doesn't have gutters, unfortunately I got water seeping in where the walls meet the floors, so adding gutters to the shop just made the project list as well...

Ben

Nice looking shop Ben. EMT seems the way to go for me too. Anytime I do something electrical, the mess seems to get bigger and bigger and bigger. However, a shop is to use, so its gonna get dirty!

Mike

Nice shop, Ben. I hope you don't have to run too much ducting on the ceiling (as opposed to along the walls). It doesn't look like you have a real surplus of head room. All my electrical is in conduit too, but I put in so much I haven't had to make any changes yet.

Kirk

Ben, I remembered yesterday that your order all came in one 'box' when my order arrived by UPS... In 11 boxes! Got everything in the shop and started the install when I discovered that Oneida had shipped the wrong brackets for the leg kit! Hopefully they put a priority on sending out the replacements.

Greg,

That looks great, let the fun begin! How do you plan on lifting it onto the stand? That was my hardest part.

So I am sort of stuck in the water with my install. I want to go with S&D pipe because this will definitely not be my last shop and I am worried about the durability of using metal duct with being taken down and put back up. I am having a hard time finding 8" S&D in my area, and the people that do carry it want $4-5/ft, I need about 40' of it for my main run. I am considering reducing it to 6" at the collector and going with 6" for my main runs. Anybody have any insight?

And please don't turn this into a debate on the merits of PVC pipe in DC applications.

Ben

Spiral pipe and metal fittings are reuseable. Half my system consists of used parts which are cheap and plentiful. The benefits of proper pipe sizing and long radius ells are worth the effort and a few extra holes can be covered with sealing tape. Dave

So I am sort of stuck in the water with my install. I want to go with S&D pipe because this will definitely not be my last shop and I am worried about the durability of using metal duct with being taken down and put back up. I am having a hard time finding 8" S&D in my area, and the people that do carry it want $4-5/ft, I need about 40' of it for my main run. I am considering reducing it to 6" at the collector and going with 6" for my main runs. Anybody have any insight?
    Ben
    Ben: My longest run is about 50', with two 45 and four 90 degree turns. It's about one-third 7", and two-thirds 6". It handles the output from my Oliver 399 just fine. I think you'll be fine with 6".

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Spiral pipe and metal fittings are reuseable. Half my system consists of used parts which are cheap and plentiful. The benefits of proper pipe sizing and long radius ells are worth the effort and a few extra holes can be covered with sealing tape. Dave
    Dave,

I have probably $300 worth of 6" and 4" fittings left over from my previous system that I would like to re-use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Ben: My longest run is about 50', with two 45 and four 90 degree turns. It's about one-third 7", and two-thirds 6". It handles the output from my Oliver 399 just fine. I think you'll be fine with 6".

Kirk
    Kirk,

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines. This system was overkill in the first place, I can't imagine that I need 8" mains. I was looking on McMaster and they don't even carry a lot of 8" S&D fittings, so besides the pipe being a hassle to get, the fittings would be impossible!

Ben