Thread: First Entry door project . . . help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One more place that comes to mind is Goby Walnut in Oregon.I think you can 10/4 or even larger if you call around.But like peter said its going to be pricey.Dont know any places for Cypress except my backyard.I have a nice pile of leyland cypress drying wont be ready for at least two more years.IF your interested in cedar easy creek in oregon has some of the best alaskan yellow cedar and red.Not a tru cedar more related to the cypress species.Good luck with your door show some pics when your done.

Hi Larry,

I am building a front door now. I am using riff sawn red oak. My door will be 2 1/4" thick by 36" wide. I am laminating the stiles and rails. My door will resemble your photo, but without the side lite. I made an I beam to laminate my stiles and rails. The I beam allows you to laminate flat, and offers excellent clamping. The lamination makes them very stable. I started off with 4/4 rough. I have three laminations to give me the 2 1/4".

Shop I Beam 012.jpg

This will be my second door. The first was an interior, 1 3/4", with laminated stiles and rails. Again, I used 4/4 rough stock.

When I purchased my hardware, lock set, etc, it seems to me they specified 1 3/4", or 2 1/4". I don't know if either will fit a 2" door.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I haven't found a Mission Style router bit set for 2.25". Whiteside doesn't seem to make them. Freud does make a thick stock set, but has a round-over style that isn't Mission that I know of. Amana doesn't seem to go this thick. Eagle doesn't have a Mission style cutter, but only goes to a max of 2.0" if you extend their normal 1.75". Eagle, in fact, said to just do it with multiple cuts and other cutters to form a M&T profile.

Where did you get your shaper cutter?

Regards,
    Larry

Thanks for the contacts Andrew.

I've called several of them.

Regards,
    Larry