Thread: Grizzly G0572 air filter

Grizzly G0572 air filter

Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly G0572 1044cfm, 3-speed air filtration unit?

It appears to have the same or similar specs to the Jet 1000b at less cost. I seemed to have read somewhere that they were made by the same manufacturer -- can't confirm.

I have a G5955 air cleaner from grizzly that works well for me in my small 25' x 11' shop.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have the G0572, been 2 years now I guess. I upgraded the primary filter to Penn State units. Works great. My shop is 18x20 with 9' ceiling.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Filter and motor quality are the only variables. Check the MERV rating as most ambient filters are not that great- MERV 10 at best. They can be upgraded but that adds cost. Dave

Filters can be purchased from other sources at a MUCH reduced cost for better quality units.

Don,

I see you have posted this question on several forums. Since this is the first place I saw your question, this is where I will answer you...

Haven't noticed any issues with the motor. It's not dead silent, but it is far from loud. No unexpected rattles, roars, or whining, just whooshing, lots and lots of whooshing. On the highest setting, I can still have a conversation right next to it without either person needing to raise their voices. Not a scientific measurement by any means, but hey, it's what I have...

I do agree, the filtration isn't the best, but it's no worse than the Jet... I like the fact that it does have more filter surface area than the Jet, or pretty much any of the shorter units.

The G0572 inner filter is a 1 micron filter which is great. The outer filter I don't recall, but if it were from the factory at 5 microns I would be surprised. I upgraded to Penn State 5 micron washable filters because the Grizzly replacements were not washable. I know they list at 5 micron, but I can say for sure, the inner filter got a LOT dirtier with the Grizzly filter than with the PSI filter...

To be honest, the G0572, and Penn State AC1000 seem to be the exact same machine, just different outer filter. However, the G0572, with a Penn State AC1000-PF2 washable outer filter can be in your shop for $300.00 after shipping, the AC1000 comes to you after S&H to your door for $349.00, which is a pretty steep premium for going to one source instead of two...

A lot of guys like the OEM paper filters though. I personally, do not care for any filter I cannot wash out and reuse... I'm cheap that way.

Other potential and actual owners / buyers of this machine, myself included have expressed concern about the physical dimension of this machine compared to the less deep machines like the Jet. I have found that with my ceilings, that slope from 8.5 feet at the common wall to the house, to 9 feet at the shop overhead doors (garage, slope required by code for drainage), that with the machine mounted on 2x4 rails such that the rails are mounted very securely to the trusses, and the filter is mounted very securely to the 2x4s, that nothing gets a chance to run into it. This is due to careful placement of the filter. I mounted it above, and slightly behind the table saw, where no full sheet goods will ever go, so no clearance issues. The bottom of the unit is just at 7' from the ground, which is exactly where Grizzly's owners manual tells you it should be.

Long story short, if I lost, damaged, or otherwise needed to replace this, I would go back to Grizzly for another one in a hot second. I like the features, as well as the price. Yes I could have spent more for the PSI and gotten the washable filter factory installed, but then I would have to deal with that bright red paint job... I actually LIKE having green tools... Although I must admit several of my green tools are a shade I don't care for... I would love to get some of that paint they used and repaint several of my major tools with it!

Adding this ambient air filter, as well as my dust collection system has not made my shop perfect, but it has made it into a much safer, healthier environment to spend my time.
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 08-13-2012 at 1:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Filters can be purchased from other sources at a MUCH reduced cost for better quality units.
    Matt
    Are you speaking of sources other than PSI? If so, can you list them?

I noticed that filter size being 14.5 x 19 which seems to make the normally available (14x20) not an option.

Thanks
    Don

David
    I agree that the G0572 seems like a good deal but I wish there were more options for the pre-filter (non Grizzly supply).

I have a DIY filter made from a HVAC blower but it blows pretty hard even on low speed and I just can't cleanup the shop. I still have more fine dust layout than I would like. I am contemplating an upgrade if I think it would improve cleanup.

Don, Wynn Environmental sells MERV 14 filters that are pretty reasonable. Dve

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jeansonne View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly G0572 1044cfm, 3-speed air filtration unit?

It appears to have the same or similar specs to the Jet 1000b at less cost. I seemed to have read somewhere that they were made by the same manufacturer -- can't confirm.
    anytime you want to waste some money, buy a jet. they always seem to charge more for a product you can get somewhere else for less that perdorms as well or better. must be the value associated with the letters J E T? buy the griz and get back to making sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Don, Wynn Environmental sells MERV 14 filters that are pretty reasonable. Dve
    The Wynn filters that David Kumm mentions are for certain limited size models from Jet, Delta, and JDS. Again, the Penn State replacement filter for the AC1000 are direct drop in, they are durable, inexpensive, and easy to use. You mention you wanted non Grizzly supplied primary filters... That's the one right there...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 08-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.

I promised I would get this data out, and I am terribly sorry it took so long, but I got the promised sound level measurements.

Sound Measurement Device HTC Inspire 4G / Android smart phone.
    Measurement software. Smart Tools Co. Sound Meter version 1.4.5 (It was recommended by a friend that is a recording engineer, yes amateur level, but good enough for what I am doing...

Ambient sound level in the shop when measurements were taken. 37 db.
    G0572 on low setting. 60 db
    G0572 on medium setting 64 db
    G0572 on high setting 67 db

Mind you, Mine is not stock, the filter has a noticeable cake built on it, and it is noisier to the ear now than when the filters are brand spanking new and clean... Still well within the normal conversation level though, even on high.