Thread: Delta 46-701 lathe question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta 46-701 lathe question

I have a lead on a used delta model 46-701 lathe and don,t know too much about this machine other than it is a reeves drive type and maybe a little bit light duty. I,m OK wih bother of these if the machine has no issues otherwise and was wondering if there are any users of this lathe out there that can comment . I,m also wondering what the used value might be.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Hi, Dave:
    I started turning on a 46-700, which I believe is the same lathe without the stand. There were a few features about the lathe that I liked and missed once I upgraded to my DVR, but the really poor quality of the Reeves drive system used on the lathe was not one of them. I did have that lathe for about 12 years and had to pretty well re-build the Reeves drive 3 times and it was shot again when I finally called it quits. The other parts of the lathe were fine.

Take care
    Bob

My nephew had a 46-701 and it was ok. In less than 5 yrs he rebuilt the reeves drive. Like Bob said the reeves drive is a pain. He finally bought a 1642 VS. It is a electronic controlled speed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the help guys. Based on this I think i,ll pass on it as i just don,t need that kind of agrivation.

I had the 46-701 for about 8 years. No issues whatsoever. Upgraded last year to a 3520b, but that was only for the additional capacity. The46-701 was still performing fine when I sold it.

Joe