Thread: How should I finish these drawers?

How should I finish these drawers?

I finished building a dresser with 2 half and 2 full sized drawers. The case and drawer fronts are red oak dyed dark brown and finished with satin poly.

The drawer boxes are cherry, so far unfinished and sanded. What should I put on these? I know you aren't supposed to put finish on the inside of drawers but I feel like I should be at least wiping some sort of oil on the cherry, inside or out?

drawer.jpg

I spray lacquer on drawer boxes, inside and out.

Oil would be a poor choice; the smell will be in there for a long, long time. I often leave drawers unfinished inside, but if I have to finish them I use shellac or WB lacquer or poly.

John

Agreed, oil is a bad idea. I brushed on some poly, I just wanted a finish for the cherry to give it a warm natural look.

What every one meant is OIL-BASED finish is a bad idea. Poly is oil based varnish (min 30 days to cure) unless you used a waterborne "poly". oil-based poly will takes months to cure to "no smel" Even longer if inside a closed drawer.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.