Thread: Lathes ....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lathes ....

I am looking to get back into turning and am very puzzled by all the different lathes . I had a rikon 10" lathe before and hated it all I could turn was pens ( I love but have more desires) and bowls with the screw faceplate ( a chuck made the thing almost tip over) . I was looking at the delta 46-460 and jet 1220 vs but then though 700 for something I can't turn a big bowl or something on . So I was thinking bigger like a nova 1624-44 or a jet 1442 . I was looking at the 16'' jet thats 2399.99 but I don't think I would be able to come up with that before woodcrafts sale ends . How often do woodcraft have 10% off jet lathes ? Thats double the price and then some of the 1624-44 though but it seems like a lot more lathe . Is it really worth the 1500 more than the nova or 1000 more than the 1442 ? I just don't see it , the nova seems like its a very nice lathe for the money and then I would have alot more cash to play with for cool tools ( I already have henry taylor and sorby basic 6 big tools ). All help is greatly appreciated .
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-08-2012 at 6:22 AM.