Thread: Woodworking in America Conference in Covington, KY Nov. 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Woodworking in America Conference in Covington, KY Nov. 2012

Have any of you ever attended a Woodworking in America conference. I live very close to where they will be having one in a few weeks and am wondering if it's worth attending and what to expect. Many of the regional woodworking events I have attended lately aren't that great and seem to be dwindling in both attendance and vendors.

If you are looking to attend a woodworking show this is it. Don't even think about it and go.
    The Northern Ky convention center is easy to get to and a plenty of parking in the garage across the street.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you are looking to attend a woodworking show this is it. Don't even think about it and go.
    The Northern Ky convention center is easy to get to and a plenty of parking in the garage across the street.
    Thanks for you input on the conference. I can walk there from my house in nice weather. Of course if there are lots of tools being sold, it might be wise to take the truck.

Unless the center are drive in , you will a cart to move the tools to your truck unless you are walking out route 17 or route 8 into newport , all other streets are uphill

Very sad I cannot make it this year. It is the best show I have attended. Also, I loved all the classes.

I went last year and it was far and away the very best show I have ever been to. In fact, they call it a "Conference" rather than a "Show"; and it is very apparent why once you get there. All of the attendees and lecturers are there to talk shop, and whether you

are a novice or a master I guarantee you will learn something. Even the vendors are there to talk woodworking, although they will most certainly be happy to sell you as much as your wallet will allow. Speaking of vendors... This show is unique in that the

companies don't just have a booth set up and manned by sales & office personnel. In nearly every case, the owners of the companies are there as well. Thomas Lie-Nielsen personally walked me through their plane collection, explaining, demonstrating, and

giving me tips. Trust me, if you can only choose one show to go to, this is the one.

Unfortunately, like Andrew, I cannot go this year either. My son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are coming from Denver for a visit that week. There is no choice when it is between WIA and your granddaughter's 3rd birthday.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Would you recommend that I attend some of the classes for a day or simply go there for the marketplace?

Does anyone have the promotional codes for the conference? It's a bit expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Does anyone have the promotional codes for the conference? It's a bit expensive.
    They have had it on sale until just recently so you just missed that. I was not aware that they had promotional codes beyond that.

Stew Hagerty

Do you have to sign up for specific classes or can you just arrive that day and attend any of the seminars on the schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Do you have to sign up for specific classes or can you just arrive that day and attend any of the seminars on the schedule?
    Everything you need to should be here:
    http://www.woodworkinginamerica.com/...eventid=35763&

Stew Hagerty

Absolutely attend some classes if you can. The instructors are all some of the best in the business. And, although many of the classes can be large, there is always the opportunity for some personal time with them before and after.

Hey, how many opportunities do you have a chance to see something like Uncle Roy (Underhill) break a huge chunk off of a Ruobo bench? Well I did last year, and I still tell the story.

Roy Underhill After.jpg

Stew Hagerty