Thread: NEW Stove operating tool

NEW Stove operating tool

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of a stove operating tool I made for our new wood stove. Well you live and learn, the ebony lip cracked and fell off after a couple of weeks of use, and it no longer fit the door right, I was never thrilled with the overall style of it anyway, I had turned it one day with no forethought put into it. I turned a new one this morning after planning it out a little better and am much happier with the way this one came out....for reference the old one is here... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ects&highlight= the new one I made today is below, cocobolo and african blackwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks really nice. I like the wood combo.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job! I also like that wood combo you used there.
    Billy

I always like seeing user pieces. When I first was taught about the lathe it was user pieces, a lot of older texts I study focus on user pieces, so I always like seeing them. Really some of the foundational beauty of turning here. Nice work.

That looks perfect! I bet it suits the stove better too. That's some really pretty cocobolo... (wish I wasn't allergic)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Those are some nice looking spindles but a little naivety here, what is a stove "operating tool"? Could you show a pic of its use?

"The best things in life are not things."

Sure James....here you can see the little...nub??...on the wood stove door, it was supposed to come with a tool to operate this little nub to open, and close, the door. They told us it was accidentaly thrown away. I needed something to open and close the door with, so this is what I came up with....
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Nice work Tim!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

why not use your bare hand [DUCK] ?
    nice cooking stove

Cool, now it makes perfect since, just have never seen a similar stove. Seen and used a lot of them in my 6+ decades but all of the ones I used/saw have the wrought iron handle with the spring looking grip on them. I even remember the short handle with the small "T" on the business end used for lifting the burner plates on a wood burning range. Some of these little devices also had the wire wound/spring handle.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Cool, now it makes perfect since, just have never seen a similar stove. Seen and used a lot of them in my 6+ decades but all of the ones I used/saw have the wrought iron handle with the spring looking grip on them. I even remember the short handle with the small "T" on the business end used for lifting the burner plates on a wood burning range. Some of these little devices also had the wire wound/spring handle.
    I have used a fair number of those with the wound spring like handle myself. I am not sure if this makes any difference or not, but this was made in Shropshire England by the Colebrookdale company, I guess they do it different there.