Thread: Oooops!

Oooops!

I'm getting close to completion of my shop and used my Unisaw for the first time. I was ripping some "rustic oak" flooring and hit a loose knot which the blade shot out like a rifle bullet. Guess what's right behind my saw?

IMG_0504.jpg

I will be replacing the window with a slider/screen anyway so no big deal. I just boarded it up for now. But I'm going to have to install a track to drop a board in when I'm ripping. Funny thing is that prior the thought occurred to me that "if I ever have a kick back that window is toast".

George.......don't you just hate being right? LOL!

Glad you weren't hit.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sheesh that must have been scarry! Looks like it blew the table off your bandsaw too

Might want to go with polycarbonate rather than glass for the new window. Good luck.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Sheesh that must have been scarry! Looks like it blew the table off your bandsaw too

Might want to go with polycarbonate rather than glass for the new window. Good luck.
    The bandsaw table is being "derusted" at home. And I thought of your suggestion. We'll see. I have the cutout for the window still. Happened too fast to be scary...PING CRASH
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-02-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    I'm getting close to completion of my shop and used my Unisaw for the first time.

Ironic that this happened on the very first test cut!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Ironic that this happened on the very first test cut!!!
    Well maybe I shouldn't say that it wasn't a test or my first cut. Is it ironic if it was actually my last cut of the day? Because it was.

I've taken out two panes so far since the doors are behind the saw. I plan on putting plexiglass over the windows to prevent this from happening again.
    Don

Blog Entries
    George I was guessing a pic of you with 5 or 6 stitches and a big bruise as you, too, were most likely behind the saw. Glad it was "just" the window. I bet you watch for loose knots from now on!

That is scary. Glad it didn't hit you!
    -Brian

Real woodworkers stand directly behind their saw cuts so the kickback hits them thus saving the important things in the shop. Just kidding. I second Brian, glad it didn't hit you.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    George I was guessing a pic of you with 5 or 6 stitches and a big bruise as you, too, were most likely behind the saw. Glad it was "just" the window. I bet you watch for loose knots from now on!
    I was behind the saw but of course not behind the blade. I actually finished the cut. I could hear the glass break through my "ears." So all is well. Thanks all.

Those little pieces usually go flying and hit something you don't want them to hit.

Be sure to post pictures of damage when something bounces off the polycarb window back into the shop.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It's are too bad that we can not buy transparent sheet of rubber to replace the broken window glass, the rubber pane would stretch instead of breaking