Thread: Curved and flat in the same adze !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Curved and flat in the same adze !

Hello,

First time i post her, i'm from France and look at this forum everiday. Thanks all for sharing a lot of information.
    Just curious about an adze i just baught, one side is curve and the other side is flat.
    Never see this it seems not a comun patern...maybe a special work from a local blacksmith.
    So... maybe one of you know this type of adze ? i'm curious if it's dedicated to a special task... like round an inside corner in holowing work ?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my writing...hope it is understantable.
    Best regards From France.
    JulienPICT5947.JPGPICT5948.JPGPICT5949.JPGPICT5950.JPG

Obviously hand made. On the bottom side,can you tell if this adze is bitted? Does it have a separate thin piece of steel welded into the iron body? I can't tell from the pictures if this is wrought iron or not. If wrought iron,it should show some wood like grain somewhere,from the layers of silicon. If it is not wrought iron,or not bitted,likely later 19th.C. made.

Hello George,

Thanks for your reply, It doesn't seems have a piece of steel welded at the cuting edge...but i have to clean it a litle befor sharpening.
    No idea if it's a tool for a dedicated task ?
    Julien

No way to tell. It could have just been modified. No doubt hand forged,though.

Blog Entries
    Julien,

Welcome to the Creek.

Your spelling isn't all that bad for someone who doesn't use English as their first language. I have seen (and done) worse from folks who grow up speaking English.

You may want to fill in your profile so people will know you are from France in the future without having to include it in every conversation in which you participate.

Interesting tool you have. Makes me wonder if it is an agricultural tool or a woodworking tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)