Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench top question

Workbench top question

Thinking about building a new workbench. The present thinking has the top overhanging on each end. One end for the installation of a wood vise. The other end will have a mechanics vise, kind of big, kind of heavy. If I make the top out of two layers of MDF will the overhang droop down over time? How about plywood, would it droop over time? Not sure if I'm up to building a plank top.
    TIA

Assy12-11.jpg
    I built mine as a torsion box. Instead of having it overhang the base, I mounted it a few inches above the base so that I can get a clamp head between the base and the top. My vise is mounted to a board. When I need it, I just clamp it to the table.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It depends on the size of your vise's but I think even with small vise's it would sag over time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My benchtop is something like 2 3/4" thick and composed of multiple layers of particleboard covered by 1/4" hardboard. I have a very heavy front vise on the front left side, and a Veritas twin screw vise on the other end. The front vise is offset about 1" from the left leg, and the end with the twin screw vise overhangs the leg by about 12". The only sag I've noticed is in my back from moving this beast! (I'll have to get it down the stairs to my basement workshop soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    I built mine as a torsion box. Instead of having it overhang the base, I mounted it a few inches above the base so that I can get a clamp head between the base and the top. My vise is mounted to a board. When I need it, I just clamp it to the table.
    Nice bench and good idea. I'll have to think about that but didn't want to give up that much height to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It depends on the size of your vise's but I think even with small vise's it would sag over time.
    I did consider this, hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox View Post
    My benchtop is something like 2 3/4" thick and composed of multiple layers of particleboard covered by 1/4" hardboard. I have a very heavy front vise on the front left side, and a Veritas twin screw vise on the other end. The front vise is offset about 1" from the left leg, and the end with the twin screw vise overhangs the leg by about 12". The only sag I've noticed is in my back from moving this beast! (I'll have to get it down the stairs to my basement workshop soon.)
    Yeah, I understand about the sag in the back I was thinking more like 1 3/4", two 3/4 layers and then a 7/32' plywood covered with Formica. Maybe I need to entertain the idea of another layer.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

I have a small shop, so my bench is only about 60" long. But I did build it out of hardwood. It is about four inches thick. I have a small over hang on one end and about a 20" inch over hang on the other. I have a tail vise mounted on one side and I am going to install a Face vise on the other. Don'rt forget to leave over hang on one side for clamping purposes. I would suggest leaving the top flush with the legs on the front, that givse you a lot of support if you are clamping something large. It is a lot of work to build up a top like this. Well worth it in the end if you want bench that will last for as long as you need it, and then some. I have been working on mine for about a year, off and on. But the plan is to pass it on to one of my boys. It will last as long as they need it as well. I have used the particle board bench tops in the past. Over time they do sag and eventually you will have to cover them with a hardboard cover. If I new how to post pictures on here I would do that, but I have not figured that out yet. Good luck with your workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E. Smith View Post
    I would suggest leaving the top flush with the legs on the front, that gives you a lot of support if you are clamping something large.
    ditto. not sure what benefit the overhang offers unless your design includes a stretcher at the top of the legs. then the overhang would be necessary for clamping to the benchtop.

Use 2x4s, laminated "on end" to make a 3-1/2" thick slab. The only drawback is time. Time for the wood to dry before you start. Go pick out twenty quartersawn 2x4s at the Borg, bring them home, and sticker them in your shop. This summer, joint and plane them to about 1-1/4", then build a nice, simple, solid, heavy top for about $40.

You could build it "wet", but you'll probably have to do some flattening in a year or so when things reach equilibrium.

If you're stuck on MDF, do Ben's torsion box approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Use 2x4s, laminated "on end" to make a 3-1/2" thick slab. The only drawback is time. Time for the wood to dry before you start. Go pick out twenty quartersawn 2x4s at the Borg, bring them home, and sticker them in your shop. This summer, joint and plane them to about 1-1/4", then build a nice, simple, solid, heavy top for about $40.

You could build it "wet", but you'll probably have to do some flattening in a year or so when things reach equilibrium.

If you're stuck on MDF, do Ben's torsion box approach.
    This is exactly what I did and I can confirm that if you put them together "wet", it will need flattening after a few years, but still very much serves the purpose. If I was doind an assembly table, I would look at MDF and torsion box. If doing a woodworking bench, I prefer some type of hardwood. Two layers of MDF does make an excellent utility type or general purpose bench. I have it on my mitersaw bench and it is much more durable than I would have expected.

FWIW, I bought kiln-dried construction 2x12's and ripped them oversize so I could plane them down once everything had stabilized.

YMMV..

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have my mechanics vise mounted above a 4x4 leg. I can hammer on it's anvil with no bouncing. Any overhang may sag, and it would be very bouncy.

I've integrated angle iron into my assembly table bottom to reduce sag. Seems to be working, but torsion box would work better I would think (but be bigger.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

13. I've built two benches using 2x4's - they are both going strong 15 and 20 years later. I smoothed the first one with a belt sander and the second with a jack plane and covered the tops with masonite for a work surface.

Once built a bench top approx. 3” thick – 4 layers of ¾” plyw’d glued and screwed together. Solid and heavy.

For a vise, I mounted a medium sized now no longer made Record.Mounted about 1” from the outside of the front leg. This looks like it:
    www.woodcraft.com/product/2082711/32921/eclipse-9-quick-release-vise.aspx

Within 6 months, the top started to sag.

As Alan Lightstone said, probably the only way to prevent sag would be to reinforce the top with angle iron, esp. with a plyw’d. or MDF top.

David Graham is on to something when he made his bench top out of 2x4’s, esp. if laminated together and laid on edge and covered with tempered Masonite.

I used LVL for woodshop bench and 2x12 for garage bench.Both are nice and solid,but I like workbench in garage better.
    Jaromir