Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly chisel handle

Wink Ugly chisel handle

I found a package containing an Iyoroi bench chisel i ordered from Tools for Woodworking this morning waiting for me upon returning from church.

I ordered it just to try out against the Sorby set I complained about a couple of days ago. BTW, thanks to all the posters to that thread. They were very interesting responses.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to put it to wood, but I must say that it has the ugliest yellow handle I've ever seen on a fine tool. It's wood, but looks like it might have been something from a branch. No particularly distinctive grain. Just a horrible yellow.

I'll be making a replacement handle in the not too distant future.

Blog Entries
    My tastes in handles has evolved over the years. Some of my tools have actually had handles made from tree branches. If my recollection is correct, a couple of files in my shop still do.

For some a handle is just a handle so deal with it.

For me the handle is as important as any other part of the tool. If the handle doesn't feel "right" or comfortable in my hand another tool that does is more likely to be used. An ill feeling handle is a distraction that is unwanted while enjoying the creation process.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mostly the problem (for me) is that it's painted. I'll strip that off first.

Are you sure that the handle is not made of Boxwood? I personally do not mind the look of boxwood handles on Japanese chisels.

I'm not a fan of the handles on Japanese chisels so I replaced all the handles on mine. I don't like the hoops at the top of the handle - they're uncomfortable when I push the chisel by hand. It's not too hard to make new handles - in fact the biggest problem may be to get the old handle off.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Are you sure that the handle is not made of Boxwood? I personally do not mind the look of boxwood handles on Japanese chisels.
    I'm not familiar with Iyoroi chisels, so I can't be sure, but from that description, I suspect it's boxwood, too. Even the cheapest Japanese chisels in Japan don't come with painted handles, I highly doubt Iyoroi chisels come with a painted one.

The one Koyamaichi chisel I have has a gumi handle. It's not the prettiest girl on the block, but I'm now a fan of gumi as a handle material.

Handle wood comparison: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...12_489_490_491

I like my Pfiel chisels,but I think they have horribly ugly handles that also look cheaply finished. That's why I'm making new ones.

I'd venture also that it's lacquered boxwood. It's actually a high grade handle if that's the case. It should be an improvement of large amounts over the sorby chisel.

Gumi (pale yellow Japanese boxwood act alike) is my favorite chisel handle material. Works great, feels great, looks great to me, lasts forever.

If you don't like the yellow handle, you probably return it and get one with kashi (oak I suppose)handle. It's your tool and you can do whatever you want with it afterall, but if replacing a quality wood that's actually more suitable for chisel handle than any other with something else, you might as well get one that has handle made from something else rather than wasting something that's good. Let other people appreciate it.

Forest's momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

If you think the handle is defective, return it. If not, use it until it breaks, then make a new one. If you try to make a replacement now, you will be unhappy with the results, even though it may look better than gumi (which, I must agree, is ugly as a hog pulling a plow).

Stan

George....I also have a set of Pfiel chisels and don't particularly like the look of the handles. I'd like to see pictures of what you come up with to improve these tools and any suggestions you might have for removing the old handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Coen View Post
    gumi handle. not the prettiest girl on the block.

Handle wood comparison: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...12_489_490_491
    "Not the prettiest girl on the block" To say the least. I apologize in advance to everyone - I think it's butt ugly. OTOH, if it's mechanical properties are as the website says, I'll live with it and see how it goes. *Something* has to make up for the lousy yellow it's been colored with.

yellow handle small.jpg

Maybe the yellow could be removed and replaced with some other color.

Sorry for being a snob. Lie-Nielsen's hornbeam handles became my new standard in a beauty for a tool handle.
    Last edited by John Piwaron; 12-24-2012 at 8:58 AM.

I think you'll have a hard time removing the yellow color of the handle seems how that is the color of the boxwood used. They might have touched it up a bit with some dye but that would be to get the color a bit more consistent. When I order Japanese chisels I typically will specify a boxwood handle as I prefer their properties over red and white Japanese oak. The yellow color is just a side effect of the preferring boxwood and has grown on me and probably will you as well.