Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I have not been around much and something I made for him...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why I have not been around much and something I made for him...

Allow me to introduce my grandson, George Francis DeCristoforo, born 12/31/12. This photo was taken when he was twelve hours old.

george_francis_1.jpg

Chris Ramsey gave me some advice that stuck in my head… "Make him a baby rattle…" So I decided to give it a go. Seemed like a simple enough idea but, as is often the case with these things, it was not quite so simple. First off, there are some safety concerns like that it has to be a minimum of one and eleven sixteenths inches in diameter to prevent the baby from stuffing it into his mouth and possibly choking on it.That limited the design somewhat. Also, it has to be sound so as not to come apart, allowing the baby the opportunity to eat the contents, in this case six black eyed peas. And it also has to be pretty light and small. We're not making barbells here!

On the first attempt, I tried splitting the piece of wood, hollowing out the bulb with a small ball grinder, laminating it back together with the peas inside and then turning the outside. Only problem was, there was no way to know exactly where the void was and I ended up getting it too thin. On the second try I cut right through in one spot. On the third one, I got a pretty decent bulb but then broke the handle. Back to the drawing board! Ended up making it somewhat like a christmas ornament with a rosewood burl bulb and an ebony stem/handle. I "funneled" two bulbs before I got a good one… thick enough to be strong but thin enough to have a "nice tone".

So this might just be the most frustrating object I have yet to make on the lathe. And yet, at the same time, it has been the most satisfying. Thanx for the good advice Chris!

georges_rattle_1.jpg georges_rattle_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Why not just get him a lathe and he can make his own rattle? He has good genes...shouldn't be a problem

Congrats!

Congrats on being a grandaddy! That is a very nice rattle that I'm sure he will love!

"Why not just get him a lathe and he can make his own..."

Well, I already got him one and all the cool tools too but his mom says she won't let him use them till he learns to walk. Go figure...
    David DeCristoforo

5. Now there's a proud grandpa!!! Congratulations to you and your family! Beautifully done rattle, and I hope it survives his infancy and can be kept until he is grown......a real heirloom from grandpa and it will be cherished!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Pretty little boy and a pretty rattle, Congratulations Grandpa.

Alan

Congratulations! The rattle is beautiful. Like Roger, I hope he will still have it in 50 years, but it would be okay with me if he wears it out first.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Congrats David, and that is the nicest baby rattle I have ever seen.

Good looking rattle and Grandson David! Congratulations!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats Grandpa! Beautiful baby and beautiful rattle! I would never have guessed him at just 12 hours old! He looks like a big'un and a nice head of hair too! I think you've got a winner there!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congrats on the grandson.

Two suggestions on the rattle.

Cut the stock in half lengthwise, glue back together with brown paper in the joint. Turn the outside. Split on the paper joint. Grind or turn inside cavity. Add peas. Glue.

Skip the peas and do a rattle with captured rings. I've done them in either oak or maple, with no finish.

Great looking twosome!

I undertook to make one for my first grandchild and I did as Bruce suggests.

I made a small 'barbell' of holly with two captured rings. Had a really nice sound, I too left it unfinished.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Congratulations Gramps! That's a fine looking grandson! And the rattle ain't bad either.

Woo Hoo! Congratulations on the grand baby!

I recommend you teach him to sharpen his tools before he is 6 months old, since "a dull tool is a dangerous tool".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Congrats to you and your family Grand-kids are unbelievable and fun to spoil. Nice rattle I made some 10 years ago for twin granddaughters.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.