Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow saw advice?

Here's another application of a Spanish windlass. Note the caution against over-tightening. A common problem, I guess!
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...-windlass.aspx
    Michael Ray Smith

ECE makes blades. Some suppliers won't sell them unless you purchase their bow saw too. Thebestthings.com sells the blades separatly for about 18 bucks a piece. I just ordered three, a turning saw blade, rip blade and cross cut blade, all 23 inches long. They also selll 27 inch blades.

I've made two bow saws, one out of cherry and the larger one out of maple. No problems so far, but they haven;t been heavily used yet. Also, I just use regular string for the windlass with about ten wraps. Just don't over tighten. Just tighten enough to make it useable. I you're having trouble getting enough tension on the blade, try using it to cut on the pull stroke, they work either way with practice. Also, after use loosen the windlass a couple turns.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    Do you think you'd have the same problem with the one-more-turn-is-not-enough-two-are-too-many problem with only a couple of wrappings of thicker cord? I'm actually not so sure that I want something really strong. Ideally, I suppose, the cord would break just before the arm does.
    Maybe. Probably depends on the amount of stretch. I'd guess fewer wrappings of a stretchier material would lend itself to a finer adjustment per turn, at least until the cord became wrapped enough to stop stretching. In that instance, I'd guess it would change from a fine adjustment to a coarse one as you're twisting increasingly thick material. Or, that could be completely backwards.

Spiderwire has basically zero stretch, and I got noticeably better adjustment once I switched to just a couple loops. It's also a very small diameter line, and so never reached the point where it started to bunch like the much thicker twine did.

Don't over think it, though. Twine and fishing line are cheap.

4. This is been a good discussion. I have 4 bow saws that I have made. the blades I use are coping saw blades, 12", 24" and a 36" pruning blade. I use them all at different times. The coping saw I added a "wooden collar" that the string/cord goes around and the tensioner goes thru.There is a pin that goes thru the wooden collar that keeps the tensioner from falling out. The tensioner has a groove routed in the center of it so that it can slide back and forth now matter how tight you wind the cord. You can make half turns with it as well. I have seen a lot of bow saws but only one or two with this feature. I plan on adding it to the others ... when I get time Hum075.jpg
    Last edited by gorden Waldron; 01-11-2013 at 4:16 PM. Reason: Picture didn't past.

Bow saw front big.jpgbow saw end veiw.jpg This is my attempt at gramercy's bowsaw kit. As I said it is pear wood, which I think is my favorite working wood (maybe other than apple), and has help up wonderfully. I also recommend using the braided fishing line. I will def be grabbing a rubber o-ring to fit between the handle, surprised I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea. My next bowsaw will be using Bill Anderson's pins and probably plans as I like the idea of the windlass for a finer adjustment of tension. I also just want to try something different for the sake of interest.

Michael,

The problem I've had with hemp twine and other thicker strings (including carpenter's string) is that as you twist the whole mess the outer fibers see way more strain than others and the string breaks. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it happens immediately. You have to wrap the string on loosely initially. Finer string does seem to work better, especially on shorter saws.

FULL DISCLOSURE: When i started woodworking in earnest, I had no skills, no habits to break. I read FWW, and everything available in the public library. I used japanese zeta saws and got pretty good with them. But I always struggled with ripping straight and quickly (read: poor skills, impossible expectations, and wrong tool for the job, plus no fleet of ww experts on the internet to help=frustration). I switched to bow saws as the solution (thanks to anthony guidice)!! I made many many including the small turning saw I still use. But they too were not the answer FOR ME.

Looking back, I sometimes feel the need to grumble at the FWW authors who wrote glowingly about saws I'm not sure they were actually using. Even Tage Frid I suspect preferred the table saw or band saw to bow saw. His advice to sharpen every saw rip is one piece of advice I'm glad I skipped. None of them knew what I was trying to do and none of them were doing the work I was.

For me, part of the fun of woodworking has always been the exploration. While it's good to be able to ask someone who has, in my case, fed his family using hand saws, I'm not sure it's what is best for you. Not chastising, not telling you not to ask, just a little brotherly advice to do your own exploration regardless of what ever I or anyone else says. I don't want you to grumble at me 20 years from now!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by gorden Waldron View Post
    ... The coping saw I added a "wooden collar" that the string/cord goes around and the tensioner goes thru.There is a pin that goes thru the wooden collar that keeps the tensioner from falling out. The tensioner has a groove routed in the center of it so that it can slide back and forth now matter how tight you wind the cord. You can make half turns with it as well. I have seen a lot of bow saws but only one or two with this feature. I plan on adding it to the others ... when I get time Hum075.jpg
    Mine had a similar feature to allow half turns and fine tuning the tension, like the design shown in the second photo here

http://www.woodwrightschool.com/howa...ith-bill-ande/

There are post here on the Creek from Bob Smalser on building a bow saw. Bob posted a ton of great how to neander stuff. Search is your friend. Threads started by ......
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Bow saw front big.jpgbow saw end veiw.jpg This is my attempt at gramercy's bowsaw kit. As I said it is pear wood, which I think is my favorite working wood (maybe other than apple), and has help up wonderfully. .
    Purty! Seeing that saw, and the Bill Andersons in the link posted by Jim make me really want to sit down and clean up all the imperfections on mine. Going to have to make some time this afternoon. It works fine, but I feel like I'd like using it more if it looked as nice.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

This thread really makes me want build another bowsaw. Such fun satisfying little projects.

I remember when Tony posted his. It really is one of the nicest I've seen. That curly pear is gorgeous and the shaping is impeccably clean - especially the finger notches that transition into the bottom where the pins are held. That was the one part on mine that I didn't get as criper as I would have liked. I used a rasp to carve those out, it was the last part of the shaping I did and I think I rushed it. Tony did you use a gouge? I imagine that might yield crisper results in that area?

Here's mine in pacific yew, I've posted it before, but what the heck other folks are reposting pics so I will too.... Maybe we need a "Show us your bowsaw" thread. A LOT of people have made these so it would be really cool to have one place where all the variations could be seen at once.
    IMG_0608.jpg

Josh your's looks pretty nice from the pics. What do you need to "fix" on it?
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Some of the curves need a bit of fairing, on the stretcher there's a little uneven dip in the transition from the curve to the straight part. Mostly though, there's a just a lot of tool marks in places. I just need to sharpen up one of my knives or large chisel and smooth things through, or hit it with the sandpaper or scraper and smooth it out. Just to get that nice glossy smooth look you folks have. I think I might make a new stretcher. and play with the bevels like yours has.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Some of the curves need a bit of fairing, on the stretcher there's a little uneven dip in the transition from the curve to the straight part. Mostly though, there's a just a lot of tool marks in places. I just need to sharpen up one of my knives or large chisel and smooth things through, or hit it with the sandpaper or scraper and smooth it out. Just to get that nice glossy smooth look you folks have. I think I might make a new stretcher. and play with the bevels like yours has.
    Just sanding the flat areas with a backed piece of sandpaper and then sanding the rounded areas with sandpaper on a dowel will probably make a big difference in doing that. As I'm sure you know, if your careful with the sanding you'll end up with some nice crisp transitions. As far as the glossy look...oil and shellac my friend.... oil and shellac. That's all I finish anything with anymore.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cherubini View Post
    My advice:
    Tho Joel vehemently defends hickory, it's atraditional and a poor choice for this application. These frames see bending (shear parallel to the long grain) and need cross grain properties. Marples made similar saws out of beech, which has fantastic x-grain properties. I think beech has the BEST x-grain properties of any domestic hardwood which makes it excellent for lots of tool related applications. Either maple or cherry would be good choices, attractive and strong. Several builders have reported cracking their finely made bow saw frames. Joel very carefully makes his and doesn't have problems. It could also be user error either in over tightening or in poor wood choice or frame shaping (removing too many long fibers).
    Looking back at old threads on bow saws, I see that wood selection has been discussed from time to time. (See for example Chris's thread from a little over a year ago.) This might be a more general question that deserves its own thread, but I'll ask it here anyway: What quantitative properties might one consider in selecting a species for the arms and the stretcher of a bow saw? The two pieces, of course, see very different forces, with the arms subject to bending and the stretcher subject to compression. I found one source -- here -- of fairly simple property comparisons that seems to indicate that hickory should be a very good choice for the arms, unless maybe it's too stiff (is a bit of flexing actually a good thing?) or too heavy. It looks as if yellow birch (which some others have mentioned) would be good choice for making it a bit lighter without losing too much in the way of strength. For the stretcher, which seems unlikely to fail, weight might be the key property . . . and cherry might be a good choice. Here's another source with so much data it causes my eyes to glaze over; I don't even know where to begin with that much information. Comments?
    Michael Ray Smith

Thanks, Mark!

I haven't had any problems with cracking, but I did manage to break the 60lb-test braided fishing line due to over-tightening. The problem was that the corners over which the string ran were a little too sharp, so I relieved them a bit with a rasp when I replaced the string. By the way, when the string fails, the whole just kind of explodes in your hands!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Thanks Chris and Joshua. And yes the finger notch was roughed out with a gouge. I did refine the notch with rasps and files. I actually refined all the chamfers and roundings with files and then with 400grit paper. But working pear wood really is a whole different animal than most other woods. It comes off my tools so clean that I have to do very little cleanup. Steve using rosewood on his must've been a battle. I am currently finishing up a dovetailed jewelry box made from Honduran rosewood and the stuff tried my patience the whole way. The one thing I did learn from Steve using rosewood is that a scraper really is about the best cutting tool for the stuff. Since he pointed that out in his bow saw build I don't touch the rosewood with any paper at all.