Thread: Thinking about this dust collector...Shop Fox

Thinking about this dust collector...Shop Fox

So I was clicking around CLs the other day and ran across a Shop Fox W1666 2 HP 1550 CFM Dust Collector. It looks pretty clean and the guy says he has some of the duct work to go with it. Only wants $145 for it. I'm a hobbyist who gets as much shop time as I can on the weekends and after work. Only dust collection I use now is a DD on my shop vac and tote if from tool to tool.

I have a t/s, b/s, miter saw, jointer, planer, d/p and a couple of things that make dust, but those are my big ones.

Do ya'll think this is a good buy or should I go look at something else? I've been wanting something for a while and this just happen to pop up.

Also, anything I should pay attention too if I go look at it?

Thanks for the advice!

Troy

Considering that a Harbor freight 2HP dust collector is $199, I'd say that is a good deal, even used. As long as it turns on and "sucks", and doesn't look too beat up, it's probably worth the money. Especially with some duct work thrown in.....

Troy,

I've had that unit for a number of years. Never had a problem with it. Works well and at $375 new on Amazon that's a good price. You probably want to look for lower micron bags. The 30 micron that comes with it is a bit course for many's tastes. Something at least 5 micron would be better. Unfortunately I don't remember where I picked up my replacements.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Troy,

I've had that unit for a number of years. Never had a problem with it. Works well and at $375 new on Amazon that's a good price. You probably want to look for lower micron bags. The 30 micron that comes with it is a bit course for many's tastes. Something at least 5 micron would be better. Unfortunately I don't remember where I picked up my replacements.

Cliff
    Go to American Filter or Beane filter. Get an oversize top bag- will cost about $100 but well worth it. Dave

Blog Entries
    +1 on a good price and American Fabric Filter aftermarket oversized bags. A filter canister would be even better but, would cost more than the whole rig. If you are exhausting back into your shop, you want point-3 micron filtering. That is still about as bad as smoking a cigarette but, better than breathing rocks ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-18-2013 at 3:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yeah, the HF was on my list, but this one popped up. I'll definantly get a smaller micron bag (may even duct outside) and put a seperator at the front.

It'll be a couple of days before I can get to it, hopefully he'll still have it available. They don't come up too often around here.